Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ebs fafner problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by traynor1132, Jul 23, 2005.

1. traynor1132

traynor1132

Dec 10, 2002
    new york
    hi guys my fafner started this constent poping through the speakers was told they have voltage problems due to there design being set up for 220 volts now i have to send it to a guy in fl to be repaired. anyone else having problems?

2. Input voltage shouldn't be the issue. There's a transformer inside that converts the incoming AC into the proper voltage that the electronics need. Many trnasformers have "multiple taps" so they can be used with different input voltages: use 120 volts, connect your wall cord to transformer terminals "A" ... use 220 volts, connect to terminals "B". This merely engages the proper number of turns of wire on the primary side of the transformer (the primary side is the voltage coming in). The voltage coming of the secondary side will be the same if the proper primary tap is used. (Use the wrong tap, the amp won't work at all, the secondary voltage would be 1/2 or twice the proper the voltage).

Now there may be other issues, like maybe a loose connection, or faults in the electronic section, but merely changing the primary voltage shouldn't be the problem.

3. I purchased one of the newer "blue stripe" Fafners used almost three years ago. When I opened the box it looked unplayed. I've been gigging with this head very regularly and had no problems (touch wood). Is your a blue or grey stripe model?

It sounds like a trip to the shop in any case. I seem to recall a few threads here in the past that mentioned something about a problem with the buffering and voltage spikes.

4. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I have a TD650 and had a problem with popping when I turned it on and talked to authorized repair service guy at Brookyln Gear and the problem was that the phantom power switch at back of amp was on and this will cause that.Check the phantom power Switch!