EBS Fafner trouble....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgordonfreeman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Hi,
    I have recently purchased a used Fafner (grey) from around 1997, however I keep getting a very unpleasant sound when I either: a) turn the input gain so that the LED shows when I play hard, b) don't bypass the EQ and have the bass control (or the mids)turned up past 0 and c) when I have the drive on any setting. The sound sounds like a kind of "farting" and at first I thought it was my speakers breaking up, but the sound comes through the DI and line out. I also thought it was that the battery in my bass had gone, but it wasn't. Just for your information my bass has EMGs and a preamp, but when the controls on the preamp are off, the problem persists. I also tried changing the preamp tube and fiddling with the bias settings, but to no avail.

Could you throw any light on the situation?
  2. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    shouldnt this be in 'amps'?
  3. Stupid me! Consider it done...
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't know much about Fafners(I've heard they are great amps) but I know how to move this to Amps.;)
  5. I've found the Fafner to be a great amp and mine has been extremely reliable. Something is certainly not right given your description.

Given that you have changed the tube (my first thought) and the problem persists, I can only think of one other test to try before you send it off for repair. Run a short cable from the effects S(end) to the effects R(eturn) to see if this clears the problem up.
  6. j4kk1

Mar 13, 2010
    I'm having same kind of issues now. Cranking up and playing hard makes it fart.

How this ended, what was the problem? Anybody else had similar issues?
  7. Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    All transistor amps have a fart out point so you need to check your gain for each stage of amplification. So try it with the master volume very high and the bass guitar volume a lot lower, this will show power amp distortion only.
    As you increase the bass guitar volume and lower the master level you will be able to check for any additional breakup
    created in the pre amp and eq due to running out of headroom.
    Start with the bass guitar Eq in its center ident's remember that an active basses, bass control is a 30+ Db volume control too.:bassist: