ebs fafner versus ebs hd 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, Aug 25, 2005.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i can buy both amps, for a good price, the fafner is 300 dollar more expensive.

what are the great advantages of the fafner? the difference?
  2. I've owned a 650 (which is similar to the Fafner) and a 350. The Fafner is slightly lower power than the 650, but both only put out their full power into a 2ohm load (600 watts for the Fafner, 650 for the TD650). However, into a more typical 4ohm load, the HD350 is just a little less power that the Fafner (350 watts for the HD350 vs. I believe about 400 for the Fafner). The HD350 is very, very clean, quick and modern sounding... it's a wonderful slap amp (Marcus Miller is using the TD650 which has almost the identical preamp to the HD350). The HD350 is very, very light, small and only two rack spaces... it's also a very loud 350 watts... you would think it was more.

From what I understand, the Fafner is similar to the 650 in 'tube drive' mode.... it's more tube sounding... more appropriate for rock type tube tones. It's also 3 rack spaces. I've heard the 650 is a much better option than the Fafner for reliability and features, since the 650 has the true tube overdrive mode and can get close to the Fafner growl, but can also go very 'hi fi' like the 350.

So... if you want a modern sound in a small, lightweight package, I'd highly recommend the 350. It has a tube emulation drive circuit that's actually quite good (I actually like the warmth of the HD350 tube emulation better than the actual Tube circuit in the 650.) If you are more of a rocker, the Fafner might be more appropriate.

Hope that all makes sense. It's really want sound you want... more traditional tube grind (Fafner) or crystal clean modern (350).
  3. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i have a BAG END D10BX-D 2x10 speaker wich is 400 watt @ 4ohms.

So if i buy the fafner, it will deliver 400watt @ 4 ohm, so it will not blow my bagendspeaker?

and the hd 350 350 watt, so it will also suit to the bagend?
  4. The first thing you might want to check is whether the Fafner in question has a grey stripe on the front or a blue one. The blue stripe (the model I have) got a bit of a power upgrade over the older grey-stripe one and puts out 480watts @ 4 ohms and 620watts @ 2 ohms. It also fixes a few issues with the earlier model. The Fafner has lo and hi boost switches which are not on the HD series, but lacks the speaker simulation capabilities and the solid state preamp which the HD series has.

As Ken points out, it really depends on the sound you're after. Both series (TD and HD) are extremely versatile, but the HD does offer more options than the Fafner. You shouldn't have any worries with your Bag End cabinet.
  5. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    its a new one, with a blue stripe, is the 80 watt overpowering a problem? :confused: :rolleyes:

6. No problem on the 80 watts at all. It's actually not a bad idea to overpower a cabinet a little bit... it's better to have a few too many 'clean' watts going in that a few too few clipped ones. Per Oddio.... no problem with either of the heads with the BagEnd. Either head will work fine with the BagEnd.... just depends on what sound you are going for.
  7. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    mmm, the fafner is no option anymore....

should i go for the hd350 head? has it power enough?
  8. I think powerwise, running into a 4ohm 210 cab, it would have plenty of power. The bigger question to me is if you are a fan of very modern (what many call hi fi) bass sound. The EBS HD350 is really known for its articulate slap sound. If you like that 'new round wound' sort of sound, either in the old school 70's J Bass version or the more modern, for example, Norm Stockton MTD version, the HD350 is a wonderful head. It has one of the best on-board compressors I've ever experienced, and the tube emulation drive control puts in a nice amount of grit if you want it. But... it still has a somewhat inherently 'scooped', modern sound. I didn't find it as warm or versatile as, for example, the Thunderfunk550 or Eden550, but the volume was comparable.

Is there any way you can get the BagEnd down there and try it out? Then... you would know.

But to answer your specific question again, it's a loud 350 watts, and pushing a small 4ohm cab with it should work very well.
  9. Should be powerful enough for the BagEnd and it can do 2ohms if you wanna get another cab...

I don't think it'll give you a whole lot of headroom, but it'll definately be clean & loud enough - unless you are playing at ungodly levels?
  10. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Hi all!

I am using (Ken's old) HD-350 with with either a pair of Bag End D10X-D cabs or a pair of EA Wizzys.

While the 350 does have a more "modern" sound, using the Bag End cabs (or single cab) I can get some pretty WARM tones. It's all a matter of playing with the VERY responsive EQ on the 350.

It's interesting - with the Wizzys, the amp sounds more "hi-fi" and "glassy". With the Bag End cabs, I can get that sound, or by adding a bit of bass and midrange - I get get a KILLER rock sound. These Bag End 210 cabs with the coaxial speaker seem to be a GREAT match for this 350 head.

Volume? Don't worry about volume! PLENTY of volume here.

I also agree w/ Ken that this amp has one of the sweetest compressors around! Also, that speaker emulation switch really does make the bass sound better thru our mains!

Ken - I think if you had a pair of these Bag End cabs, you would have never sold me your 350! :)

11. I really didn't want to give that 350 up... especially since it was virtually new :crying: It is great sounding... but you are correct... I bet it sounds absolutely amazing with the mid punch of those BagEnds to add a touch of mids and warmth. The 350 with the EpiUL line was just a little much! I'm glad you are enjoying it! :hyper:
  12. Hey!

I own a HD350 and two 2*10 cabs!
    I can tell you that I have a lot of power to share! No matter, absolutely not!
    You can go easy in that direction....

13. Modulus1906

Modulus1906 Supporting Member

May 5, 2009
    Hey Kjung

I'm reviving an old thread since so much has happended with gear since this thread. Your reputation as a guy who has owned just about everything precedes you so I would like to ask for your impression of the EBS TD650 versus the Genz Streamliner 900 that's all the rave now. I have a 650 but am considering adding a Streamliner 900 and/or an EBS Fafner II. What are are your impressions of the 650 versus the 900 and can you speculate any about the Fafner II? That Fafner II looks interesting to say the least. Does anybody else have any insight? Thanks
  14. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    Which 410 cab would you recomend to this head?
    I'm playing punk/stoner rock with pick and distortion.

Any particular cabs which fit this head well(not EBS cab)?

Was thinking about an heretige 410hlf, Trace Elliot 1048hh, GK 212 neo, Markbass 104f.

Any suggestions?
  15. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    By "this head" I meant the Fafner II or TD 660 :p