Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Fafner ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norre, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    A question for all the EBS Fafner owners here: what cab do you use with it? Why?
    I would also like to know if you guys think it's loud enough to use in a band with 2 guitarist and a loud drummer. It produces only 440W at 4 ohm, not?
    This is not much compared to SVT4-pro, Bass750, SM-900, WT800, etc ...
    Thanks in advance,

Norre

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Fafner and use it with one 4x10 made by EBS as well. It's loud enough to use in almost any situation.

This is a very loud amp. If you want more headroom, this amp will go down to 2 ohms quite easily @ 620 watts (the owner's manual says so, anyway). I don't think you'd be pushing it too hard if you did drop it to 2 ohms.

Quite frankly, when you're talking about 440 watts of power, you're only going to get an extra 3db of volume by doubling the wattage. So, if you're wanting something with more wattage, you'd better be asking yourself why. Isn't that what PA systems are for, anyway?

3. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for your reply!
    There isn't always a PA available, especially when we play at small clubs. Right now, I have an Ampeg B2 combo (200 W) and it is not enough !! I have to put the volume almost to the maximum or I can't hear myself play. And I'm just talking about rehearsal here :-( I just want to make sure, that when I buy a new amp, it's enough for rehearsal and small club gigs w/o a PA. Of course, when there's a PA available, there's no problem.
    I played a Fafner at the shop this weekend and it sounded really great. But a shop isn't a "real life" situation, you know .... I'd hate to spend so much money for a really nice tone/sound if I can't hear it anyway in the band.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you're playin' clubs, the Fafner is plenty powerful for you. Keep in mind that volume is not measured in watts, it's measured in decibels. The cabinet you play has just as big a part of your volume as your cabinet.

Example: I have a small GK combo that I use for home. It's 100 watts. Not loud enough to use in a band situation, unless it's only me and a flute or something. Anyway, I plugged in my EBS 4x10 as an extension cab and what I got WAS loud enough for some band situations.;)

I'm not one for looking at stats when buying gear, but I'll tell you that some cabs are just simply louder than others. Pay close attention to that also, and your issues of too little volume will wither and die:)

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I also have a fafner hooked to a swr 4*10 and it's pretty darn loud,but nothing compared to the ebs
    4*10 cab, now were talking LOUD.the fafner want's
    2 ohms by the way.marcus miller uses a fafner for
    a power amp and a ebs hd350 for his preamp.
    and he runs two 4*10 cabs at 2 ohms.this is the **** I kid you not.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Let's put it this way...I have a Fafner and 4x10, as stated before. I bought it from Rawn Randall at r2musical who told me Victor Bailey used my setup (my EXACT amp) for a show. I'd guess it was loud enough for him...

7. I saw Marcus yesterday at the North Sea Jazz Festival. He did use two EBS 4x10 plus two EBS 1x15 cabinets!

Bert