Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Fafner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rich37, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Hi, can somebody help me with this?

I'm thinking about buying a Fafner, but I'm a bit worried about the fact that the cooling-fan is on the side.

I have have a 4U SKB rack-case wich can be opened from the front or back, and not from the sides as usual.

Will that 1U rack space wich is left(the fafner is 3U)
    be enough to provide the amp from cool air??
    Or do I have to make holes in my case or something??

Will a 1U ventilation panel help??

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Have you looked at the Fafner's manual for tips on mounting it?

Even though the fan is on the side of the amp and the rack isn't vented that way, you'll still have a channel along the side for air flow since the SKB's walls are no narrower than the width of the front panel (19 in.)

I don't know if a ventilation panel would help. If you have too many areas for air to flow, it may actually become stagnate and reduce cooling.

3. I have a 4-space rack for my Fafner; I leave a slot open on top, and I have never had heat problems.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a 6 space rack, with the Fafner in the bottom 3, an empty space above it, then the tuner, and a Furman on top. I've had no problems with the fan in the 3 years I've had it.

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I had Fafner in 4U SKB case and it fried a transistor. I'm not sure if it was overheating or just had bad component. At least install it so that there is some space in front of the fan. I've had no problems with Glock soul head which is also side vented. There is about 1cm (1/2") clearance in front of the fan.

6. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    That is actually not true. The inset handles of SKB cases narrow it so that there is very little clearance between the handle and amp.