Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS HD 350 Paired with a Gallien Krueger 4*10 RBH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mz91, Nov 21, 2002.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I have the opportunity to pay 580 dollars for the 4*10 Cabinet and here in europe thats an excellent price. Does anyone have any problems with this Cab. I am going to buy a EBS HD 350 to power it. Is that okay. Can i power an 800 watt cab with a mere 350 watt head? Any suggestions are welcome. michael

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    How loud do you play? How efficient is the cab? If you're gonna be pushing the head really hard, you probably need a bigger amp. But if you've checked out the 350 and it seems to have easily enough power for your needs (it is a pretty loud head IMO), then there's absolutely nothing wrong with using it with an 800 W cab.

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    bump

4. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I have a G-K 410RBH cab. I'm rather damn happy with it. If your EBS HD 350 has Speakon outputs, you shouldbe able to take advantage of its switchable bi-amp/full range, horn power limiter,
    L-pad high frequency attenuator.

5. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    bump

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I'm rather damn happy with mine too.What amp are you using with it?Do you play a five string?Just curious.

7. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I drive it with a 1001RB along side a 1x15RBH. I was first impressed by a 1001RB 2x10 combo, but I wasn't in the market for another combo. I wanted something upgradeable. I tried out all of the bass rigs I could find in my area and kept coming back to these three pieces.

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I have an 8-ohm RBH 4-10 and was thinking of adding either another RBH 4-10 or RBH 1-15 later.Do you think the 1-15 adds a lot more lows to the sound?What's the difference in volume/tone when you put that 1-15 under it as opposed to running the 4-10 only?

9. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    To me, disconnecting either the 4x10 or the 1x15 is kind of like turning up the treble and turning down the bass on a stereo while turning the balance to only one speaker. Then reversing treble and bass and putting balance to the other speaker.

I've been playing this rig for a while now and it just doesn't sound right with only one cab. The only problem has been on those occasions when I should only bring one and can't make up my mind.

The 1x15RBH is also a lot lighter.

If I had a 2nd 1001RBH and ran both, I'd probably want to run it through cabs with 8", 12", and/or 18" just to cover as much of the audio range as possible, but that might be overkill.

Okey, I just came back up from trying out the cabs again, just for additional analysis. I stuffed some foam in the tweeters of each cab to isolate the cones and played with different treble/hi-mid/lo-mid/bass settings.

With the 4x10 I hear it more.
    With the 1x15 I feel it more.

With both it's like my bass is wrapping me in one big hug. :D

10. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm still looking for a 5 I'm happy with.
    As a compromise, one of my 4-string basses is strung B-E-A-D.

Are you asking because of the 4/5 switch on the 1001RB? I think it makes a difference for the low B, but I don't notice any highs lost in the 5 setting when playing a standard tuned 4. That could vary with the bass, itself.

11. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I was just wondering how you thought the RBH 4-10 handled a B string.I agree the 4/5 string button really helps.I just don't know if I want to add another 4-10 or get the 1-15 RBH.

12. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    If you are asking if I would trade my 1x15 in for another 4x10, ummm... No. If I found an 8x10 that I liked better at the same ohm rating, then maybe I'd replace the 4x10. But I gotta keep that 1x15.

If you can't find a GK 1x15RBH to try before you buy, then maybe you can find other 15 cabs in your area to try and compare. Most likely that will give you some clue as to how they are different.

It really is a personal preferance issue. I hope I've helped. Good luck.

13. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    so given the choice would you buy the gallien krueger 700 RB or would you go for the EBS. I am going to pair the head with the 410 RBH. Mike

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I would go for the 700RB so you could use the bi-amp feature.Then you'd be able to control the horn from the front of your amp.

15. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    but what about the other features. how does it match with loudness. the attack. etc.

16. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I don't know much about the EBS heads except for the sound samples i've heard online.I do know the GK heads pretty well though.The 700RB or the 1001RB will sound really good with either the RBH 4-10 or 1-15 cabs.As far as loudness,I find that that the GKs are very loud for their power rating and have a very fast attack.I find that they stay clean and articulate at higher volumes where my SWR SM400S tends to start sounding mushy/muddy.I don't think you'd be dissapointed with the 700RB.I know someone who play's one through an Ampeg 8-10 and it kills his old head(SWR Bass 350)in volume,tone,punch and clarity.

17. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    An EBS head deserves a better cab... :D

18. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Have you ever actually played out of an RBH 4-10?