Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS HD350/650 or SWR SM900?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jan 7, 2003.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I'm considering a new Amp head that will more than likely be matched with either an Eden 410XLT or a Bergantino 322 (1x12 and 2x10's and Bergie Tweeter) or possibly a Goliath III 4X10 with SWR Son of Bertha 1x15 underneath.

I play a Roscoe 5 string with Bartonlini's and the 18V Aguilar internal Preamp. My LG3005 Roscoe was built for Kim Stone of "The Rippington's" but he got endorsed by Fender and it became my good fortune to buy a bass that Keith Roscoe built especially for Kim and to his spec's! Email for pics if you like. It's blessed with a Ridiculous Exhibition grade quilted Maple over Swamp Ash body with Ebony Fretboard, Bart's and Aguilar OBP-1 internal 18V preamp.

I lean toward a Hi-fi, clear and detailed sound of players Like Marcus Miller, Kim Stone, etc. But I don't want to get lost in the mix either. I am looking for grtea mids and tight lows that will reproduce the Low B string accurately without making those chuffing farting speaker noises when an amp is is underpowered.

In the past I owned an SWR SM900 and liked it's detail and bridgablility to 900W. I don't play particularly loud, (typical small -medium size clubs)and I want to do justice to the Legendary Low B string on the Roscoe. I play mostly fingerstyle and some slap where appropriate. My band plays mostly Funk, Groove oriented Jazz (think Marcus Miller's version of "Red Baron"), R&B and blues.

Amps I am considering based on input from the fine people at Bass Northwest and reviews I've read from TB and HarmonyCentral are:

EBS HD350
    EBS TD650 ( a little out of my budget)
    SWR SM900 (used but in good shape)

I am not familiar with EBS firsthand since no one carries them locally. How would an EBS compare with the SWR SM900?

I welcome your input. I've also been told there are some nice Ashdown amps, but that EBS might be better suited to my style and tone preference. Price range is around $1000 - $1500. And I would prefer to spend closer to $1000. But I might pay more if the performance gains are that notable. Should I even consider the SWR 750X? Isn't that more of a rock amp as opposed to the Hi-fi sound?

Thanks for your feedback. Be looking for my request for feedback on the Bergatino 322 versus Eden 410XLT as well.

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd say that the 750x sound is no less 'hi-fi' than the SM-900 (it's actually easier to get that SWR 'signature' sound with the 750x), but the 900's better EQ section gives you considerably greater control over your sound. The 750x has some bells and whistles aimed at rock players (overdrive, subwave), but you don't have to ever turn them on.

For me (rock player who fancies that he has a discriminating, sophisticated ear :rolleyes: ) it was a choice between getting an amp that was easy to make sound good (750x) and an amp that, though I'd spend much more time twiddling with knobs, could possibly lead me a bit closer to that nirvana of perfect tone that lives in my imagination. ;) Also, I am becoming VERY sold on having separate EQ channels for fingerstyle and slap - not do-able on the 750x.

Can't offer you advice on the other amps, but if you are from the 'simpler is better' school, the 750x might be a perfectly alternative to the SM-900.

3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    The EBS should blow away the SWR from all the reviews that I've seen. The price on the TD650 is a little high, but is probably well worth it. Out of the cabinets you listed the Bergantino is by far the most hi fi cabinet. For the sound you're describing the Berg should be heavily considerded over the Eden. Many people will tell you this. If you consider Eden look into the XST instead.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Is this a duplicate thread?

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Sorry for the duplicate thread. Yes. I thought i might get more replies if the thread was more succinct.

I appreciate all the input I've gotten from everyone and am very very close to purchasing the Bergantino 322 Cabinet. Just need to decide which head to match it with. Everything I've heard about EBS sounds great so far. I'm going to see if I can find one semi-locally so I can listen for myself. But I might score a used SM900 in the meantime. Then I can always take that and compare. IFI get into the used SM900 right, I can always flip it and get an EBS if that is a better match. That's my thinking so far. Still enjoying all the valuable feedback. Thanks again. - Gary