1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS HD350 and Marcus tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I'm sure there are a few people here who bought a EBS HD350 because Marcus is using it(I'm not the only one am I?)
    I'm still trying to get the sound of mine dialed in.
    If there are some Millerheads here let me pick your brain.
    Using a Jazz Bass w/Sadowsky preamp I've got my bass EQ set like this:Bass 1/2 and treble 1/3rd.
    On my amp
    Character off Bass 12:00
    Middle 1:00 at 400 hz
    Treble 1:00
    Bright 10:00
    Drive 10:00
    that gets me very close but I'm having a little problem with the highs when I pop.When I play alone it sounds great but in the band, the pops get really thin sounding.No body,no punch kinda harsh.Fingerstyle is great but the tone for slapping is still a little weak.I read one time that to make something sound good In the context of a band it could sound kind of ugly soloed.
    My amp is still so new to me, I'll get it dialed in eventually.
    Do you guys have any pointers that might help me?
    Thanks
    Roxy

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Lay off the bright control. Even a little bit of it can cause this to happen. Start over with everything totally dead flat and any bright or boost controls off and make tiny adjustments instead of big ones. And try not to boost freqs you want. Instead reduce freqs you don't want.

Also, don't judge the sound in a band by your sound by yourself. They almost never have any correlation. Your description of what happens tells me that you've set your amp to slice tomatoes. Marcus doesn't do over-EQing to get his sound, although it sounds like it.

BTW, Marcus is a great guy and answers pretty much every single post he ever gets on his website forum. You might go to marcusmiller.com and ask him.

3. I have.Often time I double up on my question between the two forums.Marcus is a wonderful guy and has answered many of my questions, but there are so many people on this forum with a lot of experience whose opinions I value as well.Oftentimes ( not always) the best input homes from this forum.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I think you get great advice on here. Sometimes the SN ratio is a little high, but if you can sort through it, you get some great advice.

5. Hey Rob,
    I took your advice on the bright control tonight.I backed it way off and that really helped.Funny, playing by myself the bright control makes the bass sound really nice but in the context of the band it actually hurts my sound.
    I got very close to the sound I want tonight I just need to work on finding the right setting for the mids now.

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Rock! :bassist:

Glad to hear it worked out for you, my friend!

7. funny, I wouldn't imagine that a 400hz mid boost would give a MM slap sound, but I guess in your context it might...?

some basses just have that marcus sound more than others... I have a Squire deluxe Jazz 5 that just naturally has that tone (eq set flat) better than any of the top end fenders I own or have tried...

8. Yeah, it's all about the mix and match. When I saw Marcus somewhat recently with his TD650/EBS410x2 rig, he had the mids CRANKED at around 400 or 500 hz from what I could see, with the rest of the amp pretty flat.

Marcus's slap tone (and most others) has a lot more mid fatness to it than people realize. Given a touch of inherent scoop in many J bass executions (especially the 70's type models with two band preamps), combined with a somewhat mid shy voicing in the EBS HD350/TD650, you can quickly get you into 'click and boom' trouble... thin tone and lack of note articulation IMO and IME.

When you combine that with the HD350's relatively low power, you can really get into 'punch and definition' trouble with that head if you aren't careful. It can sound great though!

9. I ended up with the mids boosted to 1:00 o'clock at 400 hz bass at 12:30, Treble at 1:00,Bright at 8:00 and Drive at 8:30.
    Best sound I've ever had.I'm really happy.Haven't run out of clean power with the HD 350 yet.Seems to be plenty loud for what I'm doing.Maybe my Bag Ends (I have 4, but so far I've only used one at a time) are more efficient than some other cabs.My Atelier Z totally has the Marcus sound now that i switched the pickup to the 70s position.
    A funny thing happened.
    A friend, who is a recording engineer and who hadn't seen me in a while came to check out my band.He complimented me on my great bass sound.I mentioned that i had a new bass and a new amp and he said,"But you've always sounded like that,I think you might have wasted your money!"
    It's funny, what seems to be a huge difference to us,might not even be noticeable to even a trained ear.

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    LOL! You should take that as a compliment. That means your style overrides your equipment, which is a good thing!