1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS HD350...Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gimmeagig, May 7, 2015.

1. Hey guys,
    I've had this early model HD350 for years. But it had this intermittent distortion sizzle way in the background so I just had it mainly as a spare amp even though I like the sound of it very much.
    I read in one post on this forum about bridging the effects loop.
    It was said that sometimes the preamp in the older HD350s can have a problem and cause this to happen.
    I read that connecting the send to the return with a patch cord might fix this. I just did that to see what would happen and to my surprise the amp volume went up quite a bit compared to when I don't have that patchcord connected.I'm not sure if it's just the increase in volume but it seems to me that the amp sounds fuller and clearer with the cord connected.
    Can someone please tell me what might be happening here. Is this normal or is something wrong with my amp?

2. Whoolie

Whoolie

Nov 12, 2014
    Denmark
    I think it's a problem some "early" EBS amps have. My EBS Fafner from around 2002 has that same problem. Got it fixed once, but it broke again, so now I just have a patch cord in the send/return, and no problem since. I know the EBS Fafner is well known to have the send/return problem. Everyone I know who owns/owned one had that problem at some time. I'm sure they've fixed it in later models...
    Nothing to worry about, just have the patch cable attached all the time and don't think any more about that.
    Happy playing, EBS-amps sound great!

3. I suppose I could have my repair guy hardwire the patch cable internally because i don't use the effects loop anyway. I just need to know for sure that this difference in vol( and sound) when connected really does indicate a problem with the amp.

4. Problem solved. Actually there was no problem. The little dip switch for LOOP MODE was set to parallel and the factory setting is serial.Once I set it to that there was no more volume difference.

5. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The effects loop bridging thing, which isn't unique to EBS but which seems to be about the only thing that goes wrong with the old EBS amps, has to do with switching jacks getting corroded and dirty and no longer cleanly switching the signal to bypass the effects loop path. Headphone jacks on combos will also do this. The symptom is more usually level cuts and drop-outs than "sizzle", though. If it's mostly crud and not corrosion, you can clean them out pretty easily without needing to open the amp.

My routine is: Spray clean dry air in each switching jack - then spray DeOxIt (or other audio-safe contact cleaner) - insert cable - remove cable - repeat insert/remove 8-10 times - spray dry air. Repeat process once or twice if necessary. Some people recommend wrapping a piece of cloth around the plug being used to clean the jacks, but I worry about over-extending the spring mechanism.

[Edit: Oops! Came across this thread looking for another one and hadn't seen that it was dead before I attempted to "add value".]