Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS HD350 or TD650 Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jan 8, 2003.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I am considering an Amp to complement my Roscoe LG3005 fretted 5 string with a Bergantino 322 cabinet.

I want an amp that has sufficient power to keep up with the legendary Roscoe B string. I gotten some strong recommendations to check out EBS amps, but there are none here locally. I welcome any feedback and experience you can offer.

I am looking for a very full range, but modern Hi-fi tone. I just learned Marcus Miller plays EBS amps and that is certainly one of the tones I am seeking. I play mostly groove oriented smooth Jazz, R&B, Blues and funk. Mostly finger style, but do some slap bass funk grooves too.

What are your opinions of the EBS HD350? Is it enough power and features? Or is there an appreciable sonic improvement spending a lot more for the EBS TD650?

How do these amps compare with something like an SWR SM900? Thanks!

Gary

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played the HD350 (through a Bergantino 3x10 cabinet, though I don't know the model number), but not the TD 620. They have the same preamp, and the TD 620 has essentially the same power section as the Fafner, which I own. I've also played the SM-900, though not recently.

IMO, the HD 350 should be enough, but you obviously get more power out of the TD 620. The thing about EBS is that their amps are REALLY loud, as is. It kind of depends on how much overkill you're lookin' for.;)

As far as the SM-900, IMO, it's the best amp that SWR has made, and it still doesn't compare to the EBS line. It has its own voice, which can be very cool, but EBS is much more hi-fi.