Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ebs hd350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Apr 11, 2002.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is anyone using the ebs hd350? Is this amp good
    for different playing styles or mainly thumb?
    It sounded stupid good with an eden 210 xlt, but its
    hard to tell in a store. Also, is there enough headroom with an 8 ohm box in the real world?
    They list it as 320 watts continuous at 4 ohms.
    No 8 ohm specs. I need a versatile amp.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Fafner but tried out an HD350 recently. I thought it sounded amazing! The power's there, if you push the right cab. I'd recommend checking with the shop you tried it out in to see what they'd recommend. But, I'm not sure you'll want to use only an 8 ohm 2x10. That amp can probably push 2 ohms.

I'll also say this: for tonal flexibility, I'd put that HD350 up against any Aguilar or Eden in a match, and IMO, it'll blow the pants off the Eden:D

3. steve beals

steve beals

Dec 28, 2000
    i've had the eden 400 plus, swr 350, ampeg svt pro III, and i am happiest with the ebs hd350. it is the s**t!!!!!

4. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    Lets us know how happy you are when it breaks and you have to send it back to Sweden for repairs.

EBS: Swedish for POS.

5. I really don't think that's a fair assessment at all.

6. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    The pedals and cabs are OK, but the heads are less than reliable.
    How's that? Is that a more fair assessment?

7. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    I forgot to mention their speakers occasionally fall out of the cabinets. They sound pretty good before they fall apart, though.
    Of course that should in no way be interpreted as an assesment of EBS's build quailty...

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Care to make up your mind, my dear Ken? :rolleyes:

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Just adding:

If you have some actual experiences with faulty EBS equipment, please share. Such information is valuable for potential buyers. But just throwing blanket statements or spreading unfounded words of mouth isn't helping anyone.

In short: if you have something to say, please do. If you don't, please be quiet.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...EBS=problems? I don't know what issues you've had, but I've been playing EBS gear, both Fafner head and EBS evolution 4x10 cabinet.

The only problems I've ever had, or even heard of from someone else with an EBS product, was that my neighbors think it's too loud! Oh...and the tube in the head broke during shipping. But, that was during shipping, certainly no fault of EBS!

If you want to discuss those problems, go ahead. List 'em. But, don't just slam an entire brand without at the very least telling us why!:mad:

11. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I've never heard of any problems relating to EBS gear and was therefore surprised when my Fafner blew up after only a few hours of use. Two output transistor were burned. It didn't get fixed in reasonable time so I exhanged it to a Glockenklang head. I did miss the drive sound of Fafner, so I bought an EBS multidrive pedal to go with.

I guess the side ventilation does not work in normal rack cases, causing overheating. It amazes me why there is no overheating protection (or at least it did not work in this case). As for the reliability, see how many Fafners Marcus has in his rig... he certainly has some spare units.

12. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm getting the idea that the hd350 is a
    great sounding amp with poor reliability.
    The ebs literature lists the output at
    300 watts continuous at 4 ohms. Does anyone
    use it with an 8 ohm load? Has it got enough power?
    I don't want to haul around more boxes just to get a 4 ohm load. My eden 210xlt is 8 ohms. Is the reliability factor really as bad as some of you are hinting at, or just a few bad experiences?
    :confused:

13. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    Oysterman—
    Hmmm, how are things in Gothenberg?
    You seem a little sensitive about this EBS thread.
    Could it be you have some sort of relationship with EBS?
    Besides trying to control this thread, what is YOUR contribution?

I have personally seen:
    Disintegrating crossovers and intermittent heads.
    The story about speakers falling out was related to me by a previous EBS owner, who apparently had some bad luck with several cabs. At least one cab was completely non-functional when he received it. Bad luck with shipping? Perhaps...
    I think it's valuable for forum members to know that, perhaps occasionally, some EBS products have shown to be less than dependable.
    Anybody know if Marcus has had any bad luck with any of his new EBS gear?
    Come on Oysterman—let's hear the truth.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah yeah.

That was better. If you had put it like this from the start, I wouldn't have replied to this thread. What you wrote earlier just made you look stupid in my eyes - sorry to say that, but it's true. I bet you aren't, though... stupid, that is. :)

15. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    I'm so glad you approve.

16. steve beals

steve beals

Dec 28, 2000
    i was simply stating i was happy with my purchase of the ebs head. it sounds like ken nahora might have some anger management issues. there are support groups for this kind of thing. if my ebs head ever breaks down i'll just have to bite the bullet and hand deliver it to sweden. i hear the women over there are beautiful.

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I do confirm, and this is true for Scandinavian girls in general :D

All the best,

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Excuse me... What has this got to do with
    my thread. I can't believe there is no warranty
    repair shop for ebs in Los Angeles! Sure, I'd like
    an excuse to go to Sweden, I just don't think this
    is a good enough reason. Still............
    Are these amps reliable???? It seems like I'm
    hearing you say that the hd350 sounds good and
    has plenty of head room. Yes?

19. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    The HD350 has decent power. Its headroom is OK with an efficient 4x10, but I've found with less efficient cabs it can sound a bit weak. Apparently EBS chose to address this issue with the new TD620. It appears to be the same preamp, but with more power. If you're concerned about headroom, you should consider the TD620, instead of the HD350.
    Goodbye.

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, my take on the HD350 was more positive, but that's me.

And, as for reliability, I'm sorry you've had these problems, as well as your friend. Maybe EBS gear isn't perfect. But, these are the first problems I've heard. Compared to some of the problems I've heard about other top end manufacturers, I'd say the drop in the bucket that's EBS is right in line with Aguilar, Eden, Kern, Demeter, and Alembic. All of these have had a few problems I've heard about, but few and far between. I guess that's just one more thing EBS ranks up there for.

As for headroom, an 8 ohm cab might be okay, though I tried it out with a 4 ohm Bergie. The Bergie's not quite as loud a cab as the EBS cabs, but it sounded loud enough to me.