Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS heads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ollybarclay, Mar 9, 2006.

1. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    swedish i think, anyone got one?

the only one i've ever heard/seen sounded awesome!

2. I've owned the two that are available in the US... the HD350 and TD650. There should be quite a few posts and threads on these if you do a search.

In short.... HD350.... very lightweight, great quality, wonderful on-board compressor... VERY modern sounding... bright and ultra hi fi, although you can warm it up a bit with the tube emulation control.. loud for 350 watts... but still a little underpowered compared to other similar heads on the market IMO (EdenWT550, Thunderfunk, etc.). Very expensive in the US, but used ones come up regularly.

TD650.... disappointing IMO... similar front end versus the HD350 with a true tube 'overdrive' circuit... very expensive, large (3 rack spaces), and VERY underpowered into 4ohms (440 watts) for its size and price. Probably cranks pretty well into 2ohm load though.

3. Yes and yes again - I have an HD350 and I love it - definitely a modern sounding amp but just the loveliest sound - completely un-coloured but full of life - amazing power too and flexible as hell - and the great thing is that the HD350 is very conservatively rated - it's a very loud amp and is still a very portable unit - I love my EBS gear.

M ;)

4. i don't own any ebs gear, but i have gigged on the hd350 and the td650... at several occations, together with different cabs of the same brand.. and i've got to say i love them, they are loud, clear hifi sounding, with the ability to owerdrive.. they are loud enough to blay a death metal gig, battling two halfstacks and a mad drummer. they have a great eq section, that let you get your sound..

they are the best amps i've played. and they are indeed Swedish.. :)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IME/HO, their tone/wattage does not justify their weight. and they're built like toothpick houses.

6. ? The 350 and 650 are among the lightest heads out there... the 350 weighs around 17 pounds or so? Also, the build quality is among the best I've ever experienced? I ended up not liking the extreme hi fi tone, but that's just personal choice and preference. I don't understand your comment?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the two i owned both broke down on me, after 3 ad 5 months of steady gigging. and a friend is currently having his repaired. and when they say 20lbs. on their website, IMHO, feels more like 20kgs.

for the money they command, if i want hifi, i'd rather have an Epifani, TF, or even an Eden head, which IME, sound nicer, are smaller, lighter, more powerful, and yes, tougher.

8. Are you talking about the Fafner? I do know those amps had problems, and were heavy. The HD350 is very light, very loud, and I've never heard anyone having a problem with them?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    HD350 & HD650 :(

10. Interesting... once again we've had completely different experiences:)

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, for good or for bad, my new (to me) HD350 should be here today. :) I was really impressed with the sound of Vic's 350 at our GTG.

Tom.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I owned a Fafner for a while. It was heavy, sounded so so, and had to be sent for repair twice in less than a year. I would NOT own one again. On the other hand, I thought Vic's 350 sounded great at Tom's house. A real slapper's delight for sure.

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Marcus Miller is still using the 350 on stage.

I've had a Fafner for several years hooked up to a pair of the little Berg 112's. I can get a pretty good grind going with that setup. I've never had it out but in the practice room it works with a old Super Reverb and a drummer. It's not that heavy and it seems have about the same output as my WT800.

I may sell it as I'm gassing big time for a DB750.:help: Now talk about heavy!

14. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm so mad that I forgot to check out Vic's 350 that day...I'm interested in seeing how it sounds with the Epi 310UL...from everyone's descrpitions I think I would like it alot - I love the sizzle!

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Jason...I think that head would have been PERFECT for your style. I bet it really matches up well with the Epi310UL.

andHAPPY BIRTHDAY!

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Maybe you shouldn't have heard that combo. ;)

17. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks! :)

18. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    lol!

19. +1 Those Fafner's where not a good thing back then. The 350 is pretty good though.

20. I had a Fafner and its Speakon jack was dead the entire time I owned it. God, it sounded beautiful, though... :sad: