1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBs In Hermetically-Sealed Packages --

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Apr 19, 2010.

1. I was looking at 45/100s today at GC and saw that EB Slinkys are packed in sealed Mylar packages. That may or may not be news to you - but I've only just returned from a 47 year hiatus from playing and that was kinda strange in my eyes.

That got me to thinking that as soon as you open them the clock is running and they are dying since the airtight pouch is now opened and the strings are exposed to (eek!) the AIR.

Maybe the 'Use-By" date was being exceeded during shipping and shelf time?!?

Anyway - I ordered some D'AddarioENR71s 45/100 and I'll try them on my noisy P.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    d'addarios are also sold in mylar envelopes. they say it's better for the environment than packing each string in separate paper envelopes. i'm really hoping you were just being funny because those envelopes are far from being hermetically sealed ;)

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you ordered D'Addarios just to avoid some airtight packaging, you're in for a huge shocker. D'Addario was the first to do it. Not only that, but the strings are also all packaged TOGETHER in one big sealed airtight mylar bag where they can scrape against each other. Now what you gonna do? Maybe some old hole in the wall shop has some new old stock Fender strings from the 70's you can buy?

If you...for some strange reason..don't want airtight packaging, SIT and DR still use the 'old style' packaging.

4. You're getting on to me James.

Yeah - the 'airtight' part - isn't.

Again, at GC I got a 'winky-wink' about the real reason for the Mylar bags.

Cheap. Simple, no?

Seems like I get a lot of 'secret stuff' info from GC. OK - that's not totally true - but I am a sponge trying to absorb a lot of info in a very short time.

You guys all know this stuff - I am on a late learning curve right now. Sadly I also have a photographic memory - only sometimes I forget to put in the film.