Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS is sucking me in....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jun 26, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I suddenly became interested in EBS amps, after hearing a clip of the HD350 on their site. I was blown away by it. Like how amps should soon. Nice clean and hi-fi. I'm trying to find places that sell them and get some price quotes, specifically on the HD650, Fafner, 8x10 and 6x10. But no luck so far. Would anyone reccomend EBS for a pick player, who enjoys a hi-fi sound?

~Patrick

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Anyone know how much their preamps are? I'm thinking maybe a EBS pre and a power amp might suit.

~Patrick

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Contact the good folks at BassNW in Seattle... www.bassnw.com

I don't know if Bass Central carries EBS or if Low Down Sound does either. I don't believe they had any EBS gear when I was in there last week.

Good luck!

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Both Austin Bass Traders and Bass Emporium also have EBS on their website. Brooklyn Gear is the US distributor, so you could contact them to see what EBS dealers are nearest you.

Based on my ownership of an EBS Fafner and 4x10 for several years, I'll tell you it sounded phenomenal. Clean, clear, punchy as anything else I've heard, and has a little grit to boot.

I'd go for it!

5. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Hey Ram, would you be able to compare a Fafner with an iAmp500 or iamp800 ?

I'm thinking of trying a Fafner, because I like the idea of being able to add tubey goodness as I feel like it, but sometimes I just want to hear my bass, you kow? How clean and deep can a Fafner get?

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    "Tubey goodness" and "warmth" are phrases, that while I read or hear often, I can't really use comfortably in my own vocabulary.

At any rate, it's kinda interesting you ask about these because when I bought my Fafner, it had come down to what I liked better: the iAmp 500 or the Fafner. To me, both amps are great at allowing the natural sonic characteristics of a bass to come through. The Fafner had a touch more grit to it, which I dug a little more.

That's the biggest difference in the Fafner: it has that tube stage where you can dial in a little grit. Is that what you mean by "tubey goodness"?

7. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I guess so. :)
    "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

I think you got the meaning of my question perfectly. It's very good to know that the Fafner can do a clean sound if I want it to, yet dial in a harder rock sound when the time comes. The other option was an iAmp with a Fatdrive pedal, I guess.

Strange, I didn't think thought anyone else would pair a Fafner and an iAmp... :) Anything else that made you pick the Fafner?

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Oh, one more question Ram, if you don't mind: did your Fanfer get sold? Just wondering why you decided to let it go.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I guess the only reason I put those two amps against one another is because that's what the local dealer carried, other than Aguilar, which was WAY out of my price range.

I did end up selling the Fafner within about a week of the listing here on TB. I sold it because I wanted to try a separate pre/power combination and had read so many wonderful things about the Read Purity.

Uh oh...baby RAM is crying...more later. :help:

10. ktop

ktop

Jun 17, 2004
    Hi, I know a lot about EBS as I used to be a rep. They aren't readily available in the US due to Brooklyn Gear not being able to get good delivery and not being straight forward in their dealings. The equipment is great, just overpriced. The 350 head sounds great, you mentioned you were thinking about the 650 head. It is a warmer sound, doesn't have the punch as the 350 does. GuitarX in Denver has a 650 head at a killer price, I suggest you call them. Tell Gary Karl sent you (3032829800). I think they also have a 2x10 cabinet also in stock (as well as all kinds of other killer bass gear). Let me know if you need more info!!