1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS Microbass II question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Apr 28, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Channel B of the Microbass has a slight mid scoop. I could always boost it at 850 to get rid of it and make it sound flat (they claim it's dead flat but it's only flat in channel A). But I greatly prefer the simple Baxandall style controls of channel A. Are the controls mod-able to where I could wire channel A and B to be identical except for the drive circuit? Would it make channel B a flat-response channel like channel A if I do that? I sent EBS an email about it but they never answered (good service, EBS). Is it a costly PITA? Or should I just leave it? It's out of warranty but resale on them is still pretty decent. What would YOU do?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Come on, is it that obscure a question?

Bumpies for you early evening geniuses...

3. I doubt it would be practical to reconfigure both channels to be identical and it would almost certainly require a major reworking of the circuit. I can't say I experience the mid scoop on mine. Maybe the mid pot is slightly out of whack and is actually not neutral at the centre detent?

Personally, I'd just compensate by dialling up a slight mid boost.

EBS have given me great service in the past, including providing schematics and instructions on modifying pedals. However, they always request a non-disclosure contract to be signed and returned before they'll give out commercially sensitive material.

4. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I've got an unrelated question about the Microbass - Is the effects return jack in stereo? I'd love to get one for use as a headphone amp but the effects return is the only place to plug in an ipod and it would suck if it wasn't in stereo.

5. I have a feeling that it's not given it's not spruiked on the web site or in the manual, but I've never actually tried it out.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Then it would suck, because it's mono.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well thanks for the vast opinions, folks ;)

Actually, thanks for the info, N-dog. I hear what you're saying. That would indeed turn it into a whole new pedal, one I would vastly prefer, but one someone else may hate. I'd like to think it was a matter of the center detent being off, but there definitely is a mid scoop because I had to boost 850 to about 2:00 on channel B to match it to the sound of my amps running clean. I guess I'll just keep doing the boost, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me.

8. I guess if you were keen you could effectively make that boost permanent by some simple mods, perhaps adding a resistor or two... just a guess though.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I am not keen yet, but I've got off most of next week, and I'm finally going to devote some serious effort into getting keen.