1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS Microbass II vs. Fodera 2000 Pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dwc3690, May 11, 2006.

1. Which one of these is a better outboard pre... I have a passive f bass and a fafner...

2. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    hi,

i do not quite see why you would need another preamp like the microbass II or fodera then. the fafner has all the features the microbass has and probably sounds even better. i sold my microbass II after a few week since i did not convince me. i do not know the fodera.

if you want to beef up your passive bass try a simple outboard preamp like the aguilar 924. that´ll be way less expensive.

regards,

sandmann

3. Im basically just looking for something I can switch on and off so I can have a couple seperate settings that can be easily changed...

4. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    You might also include the MXR M80, this little thing is quite good

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

Actually, having owned a Fodera 2000, it is my opinion that it makes an excellent outboard pre for a passive bass (which is what you're looking for and it's precisely what I used it for). They can be had on ebay for a decent price every now and again.

I've never tried the EBS, but I love everything with an EBS name on it, so I'd love to try one out.

6. I had a Fodera 2000 and I loved it, but I never have tried an EBS, I was hoping someone has tried both.

7. I have the EBS, but have never tried the Fodera (although I have heard it is good).

The EBS is very clean, not really like the sound of the Fafner, which can get quite gritty and tubey in comparison to the other EBS amps. The Microbass is cool because it cab be used with headphones for silent practice, or used for switching btw 2 basses during a show, and it has an FX loop which is handy...

Like I said though, it is pretty clean, so if you don't like the sound of your bass dry, then you won't like it through this thing either... although there are plenty of EQ knobs to play with!

FWIW my advice is to try them both out and choose the tone which suits your style most.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've never seen a passive FBass before. Assuming it has a sort of 70's J Bass vibe like the active ones, I would think either the Sadowsky or Aguilar pre's would be perfect for that bass. They really work well with J Type instruments, and are MUCH less expensive than either one you mentioned (especially the EBS if you are in the US.... your profile isn't filled out... so I'm not sure where you are located)

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The Fodera box is very good for what you want, but like Ken said the Aguilar db924 and Sadowsky would work too for less $$$. Alteratively you could try either a U-Retro or Audere onboard. I just tried a U-Retro and I think it's a great pre with those sweepable mids.

Do you have the old F-Bass 4 that was at The Low End for a while and then at Bass Northwest? Interesting looking bass.

W

10. Thats the bass, its great... I think ill look into getting a Fodera again, I loved it when I had it before...

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I think the Fodera 2000 clips on basstasters.com are awesome sounding -- for whatever that's worth.

I'd love to try one out with a Fender Roscoe Beck V.

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I haven't heard the Fodera pre, but when I was looking into this myself to beef up and supplement my F bass on stage, and to give me bigger tonal options live, I was considering the Sadowsky pre, and a sansamp PBDDI.

The East floorpedal has always looked very interesting to me. I had a Uretro in a bass once and it was sweet!!

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A couple of people over in the Effects forum have spoken at length about their EBS MicroBass, so you may want to search on "microbass" there.

14. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
  15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have an EBS Microbass but have never tried the Fodera, so my opinion is limited in experience. I can tell you about the EBS, but can't tell you if it's what you're looking for or not.

IME, the EBS has gobs of tone control, and an awesome overdrive, to boot. I disagree that it sounds different than the Fafner, as I owned one of those for about 2 or 3 years. I really like the EBS sound, but I don't think its strength is in clean; rather, IME/IMO EBS preamps seem to excel in the gritty, but not-over-the-top crunchy.

The Microbass will afford you a lot of flexibility. Personally, I use it as a switcher to use two basses live. I blend the eq and volume between the two basses so there's minimal difference in output between them. One channel has a bit more overdrive and mid-controls, which I use for my Spector, to both warm up the sound and boost the low mids a touch. The other channel I use cleanly for my Jerzy Drozd (or Lakland DJ if I don't bring the Jerzy).

On occasion, I've used the two channels for one bass to provide vastly different tones, which the EBS also excels at.

I run two Fulltone pedals off the effects loop: a BassDrive and a ChoralFlange.

I think the EBS has almost too much flexibility; I definitely can't use every feature it's got.

16. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    I demo'ed the Fodera and the Agular DB924 at BC a couple of years ago. I tried it with one of the Lakland J copies and I don't remember what else. I do remember that I liked the Aguilar DB924 much better.

More recently, I bought a Microbass II here on TB. YMMV but this is easily my favorite little preamp box. It sounds great to me clean and flat. For the few things I've tried beyond that , I find the tone shaping part of it to be very practical and musical.