Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Microbass II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prockenklang, May 5, 2005.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    What do you guys think about the EBS Microbass II? How does it compare soundwise to the Radial Bassbone?

John

2. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Anybody have an opinion on this unit?

3. The Microbass is a very nice unit (quite expensive in the US I'm told), it is basically the preamp section of a 350HD (not exactly the same though)

it is very clean, and gives the well respected EBS tone in a simple floor box. I've been itching for my tube amp to arrive so that I can try it with a tube power section! It gives a bit of a hiss with the bright (10Khz) button in, but like their heads, is great for getting a tight slap tone!

It has 2 channels, but I find the fact that the parametric mid is incorporated into channel 2 with the drive controls a bit annoying, as I have to combine the two channels to use it... and when I do this, it seems to get a bit of a low mid bump (round 100hz) to the sound which muffles things up a bit? Or maybe I'm the only one that gets this?

Nice for recording, but the preamp clips pretty easily (unless the 9v preamp signal from my guitar is too hot?), even with the pad on, and doesn't have a very loud output unless you add the drive function to it...