1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS microbass on pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by corizoky, Nov 19, 2018.

1. corizoky

corizoky

Nov 19, 2018
    Amsterdam
    I would like to add my EBS microbass to my pedals. Does anybody know what's the best order with the other effects? I'm using EBS octabass, Unichorus and Multicomp with basshead EBS HD350.

Zbysek likes this.
  2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    IMO i would put the microbass last as that would be final tone shaping and my out to amp or FOH. Everyones preferences are different and it is best to try different arrangements w stacking the pedals to see what combos get the sound you seek. Based on my experience I would like...

Multicomp > octave > chorus > microbass

Zbysek, Mod7, sillyfabe and 1 other person like this.
  3. corizoky

corizoky

Nov 19, 2018
    Amsterdam
    Thanks for your advice! I already tried to do so and it seems to work fine!

Zbysek likes this.
  4. IMO i would put microbass first right after the bass, as it's generally a preamp, one of which purposes is to 'solve the impedance issues', eg. is useful when you use piezo pickups, or when the sound man complains about quality of the sound he's receiving to the mix. If you use the microbass as overdrive effect, first in the stack it would probably work better with octabass and worse with multicomp (and vice versa).

If you don't use it as overdrive effect and don't have impedance issues, there might be no good reason to use it at all, as it more or less doubles the preamp in your EBS head. Check for yourself; if you want a clear clean sound, it's a good starting point to use as little hardware as possible.

Hmm.. it's a great preamp for double bass... don't wait too long :)

Zbysek likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Hello there! My pedal board is the same as yours: EBS Micro II, and all three EBS effects (plus some others). Welcome to the club! Those are great pieces of equipment. I love especially the preamp.

Generally, there are three ways how to approach the preamp's position in the signal chain:
    1. first in chain
    2. last in chain
    3. first and last (with the other pedals in the preamp's FX loop).
    Now it depends whether you will be using the preamp's DI to FOH. If yes, you need to use either option 2 or option 3 above in order to send FOH the sound affected by your pedal effects.

If you don't use the preamp's DI, you can put the preamp first in chain. I would do it with passive basses and piezo pickups (on DB or EUB) in order to deal with the impedance issues. Be careful not to boost the preamp too much as it could overload your pedals down the chain. Make sure to set the active/passive switch on the multicomp to "active" position.

What I love about the option 3 above is the fact that I can use the preamp's "FX Mix" knob as a dry/wet blend knob. It can be great especially for dirt, octave and reverb pedals.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    cosmicevan likes this.
  6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Same here

cosmicevan likes this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    There are other purposes the unit can be used for (two instruments blender, A/B switch, dual channel, additional EQ, mute switch), but yes, I don't use it very often with my active bass guitars provided the DI output on my amp works fine...

Yes! I love to use it with my NS NXT EUB...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. corizoky

corizoky

Nov 19, 2018
    Amsterdam
    Ok @jj.833 and @Zbysek, Thanks for your expertises, it will help a lot!

Zbysek likes this.
  9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Your're welcome. Let us know how do you like the preamp...

10. corizoky

corizoky

Nov 19, 2018
    Amsterdam
    Just some other questions:
    when using option 1 what would be the pedal order? amp > multicomp > octabass > unichorus > microbass > bass?
    when using option 3 what would be the pedal order? send mb > multicomp > octabass > unichorus > return mb?

11. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    1. bass to preamp input A
    2. preamp output to
    3. multicomp
    4. octabass
    5. unichorus
    6. amp

1. bass to preamp input A
    2. preamp send to