Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Microbass vs. Radial Bassbone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RAM, Jul 30, 2004.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Both seem to have been very well received by our bass playin' bretheren...

Has anyone had a chance to compare?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Has anyone had a chance to compare??? :help:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    haven't compared directly.

I have the EBS (and Sansamp and MXR, doh!).

Having briefly tried out a tonebone, which is same size as bassbone, I can say it's 20-30% bigger than the EBS.

Both have DI.
    Both have three band eq. EBS can switch the mid in/out. Radial has some preset eq shapes IIRC. Radial seems better suited for switching between active/passive basses without changing anything on the pedal other than the channel.

Someone here tried out the Tonebone and didn't like the eq presets on it (TaySte?).

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Do I hear my name being called,

When I was looking to give my basses that extra punch (the difference you get between an active and passive bass) I tried the Radial pedal, It had all the features I could ever need, I was very impressed that they had included a boost footswitch with separate volume control, this IMHO is perfect for thoso slap passages when you need to cut through a little more. The pedal was amazingly built and very solid and easy to use

BUT........

To me the tone sucked, I really didn't like it, maybe its really really transparent but to me it hardly did anything to my tone.

Channal A uses the presets and you can choose from 3 (flat, pre 1, pre 2) now pre 2 sounded alright but it didn't have a distinct slap or fingerstyle tone so I don't get the point. They should have made the pre shapes amazing for one style then with channel B you eq it to your other sounds.

Personally with out having tried the ebs I'd go with it purely because its and ebs and over here they cost about the same, you might like the radial though, when laying down this sort of cash for a pedal you should always try both. The radial is a very quiet pedal I didn't seem to get any extra hiss or anything it really is a top notch pedal in terms of quality it just comes down to if you like the sound. I don't but hey thats me and I prefer to pick up my Ibanez instead of my Rickenbacker alot of the time, so I may be just plain crazy :help:

BTW I ended up going with the Aphex bass exciter, not a pre really but it sounded better than anything else I'd ever plugged into.

Hope this helps