Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS / mixing cabs question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Is it just me or is deciding on a new rig the single most difficult thing in this planet?

This is what I've decided so far (honestly! :D ) :

-Phonic MAX2500 poweramp (750W@4ohms per side stereo, 1500W bridged mode)

-Peavey MAX preamp

As far as cabs go, I'm hesitating between this and that and it's driving me mad. If I could afford it, I'd probably go for the EBS412.

But for now and at the moment, I was thinking getting the EBS311 (1x15" + 1x10" + tweeter, 500W RMS@4ohms). I would think this cab would have a pretty good frequency range because of the mix of speakers and would be enough for small to medium sized clubs.

Or should I go for the single EBS212 (2x12" + tweeter) for now?

My main question is, if I'd get this rig, what would be a good cab to add to it later on? I play Esh Various V and a lot of times it's ADGCF -tuned so I'd need a rig that works well with this bass/setup.

Any ideas? I'd think the EBS212 would do the trick (400W RMS@4ohms). How does a stack consisting of 1x15", 2x12", 1x10" and 2 tweeters sound to you guys?

Cheers,

Mara

2. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi there!

I've tried out the EBS 311 2 times now. I REALLY like it. I'm in the same situation you are, ie. deciding what kind of rig to get.

Since I recall that you live in the Helsinki area, maybe you should go down to Soundata by the opera and test the 311. They have one there.

At least based on my 2 trials, the 311 is fabulous. It has lots of bottom, although my 5-string only goes down to B :). The mids and highs are very well balanced. All in all, I find the 311 to be a very balanced sounding cab. I did not get to test it at high volumes.

Now if I only had the money to add a Fafner on top of that 311... :)

Go and try it...

Cheers,
    wyrtti

3. Mara, what type of strings do you use to drop down to A?

4. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Check out the string section, you'll find a thread where I asked the same question. But FYI, I ordered a set of Pyramids (.50, .70, 90, .120, .140).

5. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Had the 212 arrived yet? I remeber Tsal mentioning something about september. I definately will A/B that with the 311 as soon as I get my poweramp/preamp sorted out.

6. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    My guess is that you still change your mind a couple of times. ;)

The 212 (except for the 412) is the most attracting one to me. It should have good low-end, though the efficiency is not too good. But you could add another 212 later on... 311 is an intresting one, I thought about getting it's active version but it was too pricey and quite heavy. I went the 4x10 way.

7. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Just wait and see! :rolleyes:

8. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hey TRU, have you tried the active version of the 311? Did it have enough power/headroom? I've been thinking of that, because i already have a nice preamp (SWR Grand Prix), so it would be the cheapest alternative. Although I guess a good poweramp would give me more headroon and be more versatile in the future...

Mara, they didn't have the 212's on monday, maybe next week?

Cheers and a good weekend to you all!

9. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I haven't tried the active 311, but I suppose it's power amp would be a 'perfect' match. Separate amp and cab will definitely be more versatile.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If I recall correctly, they have started shipping the 212 at the beginning of this month and I estimate that it could be month or so until they are available here.. Hence the september. Call Jan-Olof at Soundata and ask him the situation.

Anyways, in your situation, I think if you get some nice power amp that pumps loads of watts into 8ohms, you could get 8ohm version of 212 now and then add second 212 later to get your all twelve stack.

11. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I emailed him about it, they will get one(1) 212 first, sometime in october. Price will be not more than 1200€.

Do they make a 8ohm versions in EBS? In their www-pages they only mention 4 ohm...

Mara