1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS Multi Comp question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I need a little crash course on the inner workings of the EBS Multi Comp. On the circuit board are two trim pots.I'm a little confused about how to adjust them.Each one controls the threshold of low and high,I know that much.But what I'm not clear about is,if the pot is fully counterclockwise, do I get compression even when I attack softly?So then,if I turned the trim pot fully clockwise I would get compression only on the hardest attacks?Is that how that would work?I kind of want to leave the lows alone and compress the highs just a bit for plucking.Right now I have both of them set at 12 o'clock(factory setting)but if they are both at the same setting isn't that defeating the purpose of a multi band compressor?

2. The manual doesn't actually state which way to turn the trimmers, naturally you'd have to twiddle and listen to find out for sure... but here's how I would initially interpret the manual;

Fully counterclockwise is off, or -25dB sensitivity. ie; that band is bypassed = no compression in that band.

Half way is the default setting and it would seem it's around 0dB sensitivity.

Fully clockwise is +6dB sensitivity, meaning the compressor triggers more often in that band.

So, to increase the high frequency compression, turn the high trimmer a little clockwise.

The multiband compressors work independently, so how much each compressor triggers depends on the signal energy in that frequency range. The idea is to avoid the case where the high frequency component of your signal is squished when the low frequency component causes the compressor to trigger or vice versa. Having the trimmers set at the same point doesn't compromise the independence of the multiband compressors.

3. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    Notice you need to set the trimmers right to get the multicomp work properly. These trimmers set also the threshhold for the normal and tube mode!!! Don`t bother to turn the trimmers full clockwise to get maximum compression.