Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS MultiComp noise...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jonathanl, Jan 21, 2003.

1. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Hey all..

When I turn on my MultiComp it seems to raise the noise floor (or add some kind of noise) when I play through my Bass POD with my headphones. I know compressors naturally do this, but my other compressor I use for recording does not seem to do this. Is there a way to lower it? Or is it just how this pedal works? (Just wondering)

Will adjusting the low and high threshhold do anything? (I'm not in multiband mode though)

Thanks!

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

What bass are you using?

Have you set the input sensitivity switch on the compressor?

What else is in the signal chain?

What are you using to power the pedal?

How have you set up the gain structure?

What are you using for instrument cables?

Any of these things could be adding to the noise.

3. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Whoa, a flood of questions! Hehe..

Well, my signal chain is pretty "clean" right now. I only notice it when I turn on the MultiComp..

I'm using a Yamaha RBX775. It has a battery, so I'm assuming its active. But I don't know if it's active eq (there's only a tone and volume knob, so..), passive pickups. Active pickups, active tone control.... you get the idea. And it has a boost switch. (I thought it was a active/passive switch, but I took out the battery, and tried using the switch, and my bass produced no sounds. I've only done that once though. Maybe I'm doing it wrong). And it has a pickup selector, which is usually left in the middle (using both pickups). Yamaha says they're humbucking, but I've heard otherwise. Selecting either pickup, produces extra noise that I don't like (hence a reason I use the noise gate)

It's currently on active, but less noise happens if I set it on passive. (MultiComp mode)

I have a Blue Tube pedal, and a MXR Noise Gate (because these pickups are noisy...)

I'm using the EBS AC Adapter to power this pedal, but it did come with a battery...

Gain structure? I've heard the term used, but I don't quite know what it means. Sorry! If it means anything, I have the volume on my bass set at max (which has an extra buzz to it since it's up all the way) but changing the volume doesn't seem to do much. The gain on the compressor is set at 1/3rd at the moment...

Instrument cables, I have Spectraflex and Livewire. And Hosa to interconnect the pedals.

I still haven't tried tweaking with the low and high thresholds though...

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sounds like the bass electronics are causing the noise. If the pickups are not shielded/grounded properly that noise is just going to get amplified by the compressor since it raises the noise floor.

Have you got the gate before or after the compressor? It should go before. The very fact that you have a gate is a sign that were in big trouble long before you added the compressor. You should fix the pickups and get rid of the gate.

You said you didn't get this with your other compressor. What compressor was this? Was it in the same place in the signal chain?

Gain Staging
    Any point in the chain at which the signal level can be changed is called a gain stage. There are usually several of these stages in series. Setting these stages so that the overall signal has best signal-to-noise ratio and the most dynamics is the process of gain staging.

5. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Well, the compressor is amplifying any background noise I have. Now, I am playing through headphones, so I have no idea what it would sound like through an amp (I don't have my amp with me here at college).

I had a 1/2 rack Joe Meek MC2 and when I got my MultiComp it was in the same place, but when I noticed it seemed to amplify the background noise floor, I put it before the gate.

So my sequence was eq -> gate -> comp, but now it's eq -> comp -> gate...

I tried getting the pickups fixed, but the other Yamaha 775 at the store (when I tested) seemed to exhibit the same behavior.