Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS multicomp or Boss ME-50B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by winand, Oct 1, 2004.

1. winand

winand

Oct 1, 2004
    I'm looking for some stompbox to beef up my bass sound. I read that a compressor/limiter can do much and have read that the EBS multicomp box is top quality, can't go better.
    But the Multicomp costs around 210 euros here in holland, and a well respected multi-effects pedal, the Boss ME-50B is for sale for around 270 euros. For that extra 60 euro, i get a lot of effects (although i will use those rarely) and a compressor/limiter build in.

My question: How good is that compressor/limiter in ME-50B? (and the overal sound quality)Should i go for the EBS or the Boss?

My rig: Fender usa jazzbass 4 string, hartke 3500 top, gallien-krueger 4x10" cab. Use a Sennheiser ew100 wireless system. Play a lot gigs, so the box will be primarily used on stage.

2. Hi,

I know EBS stuff is pricey - and going up in price not down, at the moment - but I got a Multicomp recently and I really love it. It adds so much punch to your sound, and 'improves' the sound of virtually any bass - plus you have three different types of compression - the 'tubism' setting being particularly warm, and then the gain control just means you get that extra punch from your amp - it's a pedal that's great for live work and in my opnion, last you a lifetime - until you upgrade to some flashy rackmount in your mid-life crisis! (only kidding) - but I think its a great pedal - but 210 Euros is a lot - you can get them for about 150 pounds in the UK - which is definitely cheaper.

Hope that helps

M

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I love the EBS Multicomp, the Boss has decent compressor effects.

I particularly love the multiband compression setting for the EBS, very handy for slap. The Boss is an excellent unit overall, but as a general rule of thumb you won't find the best instance of a particular effect in a multi effects unit. That doesn't make the Boss a bad unit, far from it, I think it's great. But if your primary need is compression, I'd suggest the EBS.

4. gregbass

gregbass

Aug 30, 2004
    Ebs multicomp is the best compressor in stompboxe.
    It's a cool gear for bass player on stage.
    i'd suggest the EBS.
    I have paid 170€ for this. In france

5. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I have to agree with everyone here. The EBS is an AMAZING pedal. Its the only one i use ALL the time. I literally cant play anymore without it. I just makes me sound that much better.

I would definately go for the EBS. you spend more, but you dont have to worry about upgrading cause you have "the best" of whats out there.

Peace

M

6. EBS Multicomp... :hyper:

I've had mine for a while & love it (the cones on my cabs don't go crazy anymore + nicer tone for slappy work).
    Cost me AUS $320 though. :(

7. I use EBS gear and rate it highly but another option you may want to consider is the Aphex Punch Factory, I've heard several poeple comment on these, all good, may save you some Euro too!

T

8. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    Playing the EBS HD350 with the Boss ME50B I have to say that I like the different compressors on the Boss better. The EBS Multicomp is another animal with 3 different compressor settings (Normal, Tube, 2-Band). The EBS Amps uses the Normal mode. Finding it really excellent the Boss can create some extra punch.

Further more i find it really handy to store different compressor settings with different EQ settings for i.e. finger or slap sounds. The noisegate works really great on the Boss where the EBS has no gate incorporated.

Summa summarum I would go for the Boss ME50B if you want to play more than one sound.

9. I'm loving my ME-50B. I use the different compressor settings for almost everything I do. I believe the sound is of great quility and the added FXs are good for experimenting and opening up my mind to alot of new sounds.

The one and only time that I don't use the ME-50B is when I record direct from my Ken Smith into my SWR SM900 using a little of the onboard limiter in the amp, but that's only if I want a straight, clean sound (I do occasoinally record a second track with the ME-50B with the Driver setting).

Sorry, I got side tracked there. What I am trying to say is that with my fairly high end bass and amp, the Me-50B does not degrade the sound, only adds to it and compliments it.

Hope that helps.

10. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    My thoughts exactly. As someone who likes to tinker with all possible settings, it was tough to take my stand alone rack compressor out of my flight case and get use to some lack of control (but now, I like carry my flight case more ;) ).

As BigBenner said in this thread, the ME-50b does not diminish the sound quality of a high-end bass into a high-end amp. I was formerly running an effects loop with a compressor, 2 equalizers and a time delay, which added some noise to my signal. Having these replaced by one unit eliminated the hiss completely. (The ME-50b has an excellent built in noise gate, which I leave set on maximum all the time.)

I am really enjoying the classic effects modeled in this unit. For example, while the BOSS indigenous compressor is great, I dialed up the DBX modeled compressor and it has that "squishy" sound of the DBX.