1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS MULTICOMP Setting trimmers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mao, Nov 4, 2006.

1. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    Hi there,

I just bought an EBS multicomp, I returned the EHX Whitefinger for his big "hiss" and "noises" and got the EBS as you suggested.
    but I'm training to set the trimmers to achieve more bass compression because the default is a bit "subtle".
    I know the 2 trimmers are zeroed ad 12 o'clock... and then... how do they works?

Counterclockwise is more or less compression ?

Before buying it I red somewhere an article on how to set this trimmer... damn I cn't find it anymore. Some links?

Thanks in advance.:hyper:

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The instructions are in the manual, which can be downloaded from here:
    www.bass.se/koll/manuals/multicomp.pdf

Clockwise is higher sensitivity (more compression) and counterclockwise is less sensitivity all the way down to "off". Those trimmers only work in the multi-band mode. But I'm surprised to hear you say the default is too subtle- does your bass have low output? Or perhaps you are using a passive bass but the active/passive switch on the EBS may be set to "active"?

3. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, it's the little white switch on the side next to the input. I didn't realise it was there right away, but it was set correctly for me so it didn't matter, but check yours, that might just be the problem.

4. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    well bongomania... you're really answering all my question... so probably you're quite like an angel... :)

The manual says that trimmers sets the threshold from -infinite to +6db nothing more...

I defined it suble compared to a supercomp MXR i a/b compared this morning before buying the EBS. Why I didn't bought the mxr? well it seems compressing in a more "dramatic way..." and the RBS sounds better and more natural for my ears (but that "attack pot"... could be very useful !). I need slightly more from the EBS... probably a little tuning. I'm using an active Status Stealth and I'm using the switch in the active position.

Thanks again...

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree that having control over the attack is a very useful feature, and I wish the EBS had that control.

6. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    well I like slow attacks (with the whitefinger I was always on LAMP) so that "Attack pot" is not more than a plus for me. MXR does a more dramatic compression probably bacause of the sensitivity pot instead of compression pot. Is something like having a fixed compression and "you decide when". The EBS has this sensitivity inside... so it's only a thing to set and forget.

Mmmm I'm thinking on modding the EBS and take out that triggers outside of it... :D someone already done it ?

7. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    You're right, it's very sensitive and it drove me nuts cause I couldn't find that right spot! But after twiddling around for 2 days and nights I finally found it and are now very happy with the result; you just have to tweak it 'til it sounds cool and then leave it there. Trust your ears :bassist:

My personal settings:
    active
    low: 11:00
    high: 9:00
    gain: 10:30
    comp/limit: 14:30

Just ordered a BBE DI-1000X and can't wait to plug into the Multicomp :hyper: