EBS Multicomp Users?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Hi, I just got a EBS Multicomp and I'm hoping there's someone here who has one too.
    My Question is about the Multi band setting.Specifically the internal trim pots.
    There's one for low and one for high.The factory sets both if them at 12 o'clock.Now if they are both set the same is that not just like using a regular one band compresspr?
    I want to compress the low end maybe a little less than the highs to even out the volume when I slap.I'm into the Marcus Miller sound so I don't want anything extreme.
    Mainly I want to cut more without having to turn up my volume too much.
    How should I set it?
  2. I would just turn the low trim pot counterclockwise to taste, and leave the high trim at 12.
  3. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Actually I like the tube-mode better, IMO the sound cutts better and I can get a slightly more "raw" tone
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    adjust to taste, really.

I have the bass pot at noon and the treble pot at around 2pm
  5. I've messed around with it a bit now and I'm surprized that I like the bass at a little above 12:00 and the treble backed off to about10:30.It's opposite of what I thought it might have to be .In the dual compressor mode too moch of my plucks were squashed.I wasn't able to get the comp/limit knob past 11:00 or I would loose all dynamics.Now, with the new internal settings I got it at a little past 12:00 and the gain at 9:00 and it sounds killer.
    I also think I might like the tube mode better,like you,bugbass.
    You're right,it sound more raw and for fingerstyle the attack comes out better and for thumb there seems to be more clarity.I'm sort of reluctant to use the tube setting because I bought the thing because it is a two band compressor and dammit I'm gonna use it like that!Just kidding.I'll have to take it to a few gigs to really know which is better.Tough to tell in my house playing by myself.I took it to a rehearsal today and I really liked it.
    By the way how long do the batteries on this thing last?I think I went through one in a day.Does the battery get disconnected when I unplug the instrument?Maybe I need to get a powersupply for the pedal.
  6. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    The battery get disconnected when you take out the input jack. I rec a powersupply
  7. I read about possible problems with the EBS switching powersupplies.Some kind of interference with clock chips,whatever that means.I found a webpage that recommended regular transformer types over the switching kind.
    What do you guys think?
  8. Keskin

Feb 20, 2006
    Iam using it with a switch powersupply and noticed nothing extra, what problems should it cause? Maybe you can give me the page.
    I have another problem with my Multicomp: iam getting very noticable hiss when i kick it in. When we stop playing i have to cut the highs or turn the volume all the way down, recordings are impossible with this.
    Maybe its from my bass and the comp is just just making it more audible, im not shure.
    Maybe someone had similar problems.
  9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yes, compressors always make hiss more noticeable and the Multicomp is no different. It's not really up to recording work for that reason, in my opinion. Shouldn't be too noticeable live though. If the problem is only between numbers I can thoroughly recommend a Boss NS-2 noise gate. This solution works really well for me.
  10. Keskin

Feb 20, 2006
    I just tried it with my e-guitar and its the same. It really sounds not normal to me because if we stop playing, i have to turn the volume down, otherwise its really bothering. If thats the clean sound, i dont want to know how its with overdrive.
    The noisegate is probably a good idea, if i find no other sollution i will try it.
  11. Never even knew there were trim pots inside... must experiment.
  12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO I would call that more of a "rule of thumb" than a 100% reality. Some compressors amplify the hiss a lot, some amplify it very little. In the realm of pedals, the "Orange Squeezer" clones I've tried, and the Carl Martin, are darn close to silent. And there are many studio-grade rack comps that also don't amplify the noise so much. It's possible that there's something wrong with Keskin's specific unit- but probably it's like you said Bill, the noise is a combination of noisy gear before it (poor shielding, overdrive pedal, etc.) and very high compression settings. Keskin, have you tried a "known to be well shielded" instrument with it, on low to moderate compression settings?
  13. hiss? mine is very quiet and the tube setting works best for me too.
  14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Sanity check question: where do you have the gain setting? Sometimes people forget that all the way counter clockwise is zero gain, not with the knob at half way.
  15. Keskin

Feb 20, 2006
    I have a Ibanez ATK bass in front of it, its active, no overdrive at all (soon it will be a blowtorch).
    Just tried lower gain settings and voilla, it works.
    Didnt know that all the way left is zero, thanks alot David.
    I think the high frequency hiss is a built in feature to the ATK electronics but i will apply some more graphit spray tomorrow, just to be shure. If not, i will have to live with it because i love this bass.
    Thanks again guys, you just saved me some trouble for the upcoming recording session this weekend.
  16. Same could be said for any power supply, and in fact, that article doesn't limit itself to dissing on the EBS supply - it also mentions the 1 spot and the Godlyke, which many many people on this forum are very very happy with!

Some switch mode supplies do they're switching a relatively low frequencies, low enough to be in the audible spectrum. Avoid these like the plague. Others have poor filtering and cause hum. Avoid these also. Get good quality regulated supplies with a higher current rating than you ever intend to use. Place them as far away from your gear as is practical (the interference radiates omnidirectionally from the power supply case) and 99/100 times you'll be fine.

I'm not really against switch modes, but I prefer linear (transformer) supplies. But, they have their own set of problems as well so... :meh:

Shielding with graphite spray will only act to reduce EMI (hum and buzz.) Hiss is a function of the bass's preamp itself. In other words, you're stuck with it. Make sure you're using a fresh battery when it really matters, and consider an aftermarket preamp if you really can't live with it.