Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Multicomp vs. Aphex Punch Factory

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Jun 3, 2004.

1. As ever, I need a new pedal. Just wondering what thoughts are like of these pedals, and any reveiws are very welcome.

Many Thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you search, you'll find lots of threads discussing these pedals.
    I use the multicomp, and like it a lot, but I've heard great things about the aphex. One great thing about the ebs is the multi band compression.

3. Pardon my ignorance, but what is multi band compression?

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    where you apply different compression thresholds to different frequency ranges. i.e. for slap, you might want to apply a higher compression to the higher frequencies than to the bass end to reign in the volume level of any popping.

5. How big is the pedal? I have very little room on my pedal board and does it run off 9 volts?

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  7. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm also curious if anyone has any experience with the Aphex 1404 compressor. I read a real good review of it in Bass Player but I wouldn't mind hearing from someone with a "real world" story.

While the thread is already started I'll just piggy back in with my question. I'm very happy with my regular tone. It's just that when I slap the volume jump is way too drastic. I need a compressor that I could turn on and off just for the slap parts. The comp on the ME50B sucks a little too much tone away for my taste so I need something else. I've read through the threads but I've never seen anyone looking for a comp to handle just slapping.