EBS MultiComp vs MXR Micro Amp for boosting

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JREaton42, Mar 9, 2018.

1. JREaton42

JREaton42

May 30, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I'm looking to get something that will boost my sound during tapping sections and bass breaks where I really want to punch through. I want something that will do it relatively cleanly, because I'm not necessarily looking to change my tone, but I wouldn't mind having the option to tweak my sound even further for these sections.

I'm looking at two pedals right now: the EBS MultiComp and the MXR Micro Amp. I know the MultiComp is a compressor pedal but I've heard it can provide a good clean boost. I've never used a compressor pedal so I don't know if that would help me or just sit there basically unused.
    The MXR looks like it will do exactly what I'm looking for and that only.

What is really appealing to me about the EBS though is the fact that it has a tube simulator mode, which I think would work well with my Darkglass B7K. I'm just wondering if it would be overkill.

2. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    There's nothing really over powering about the Multicomp to be worried about overkill. It's my always on pedal and very transparent (until you really squish the sound). No knowledge of the MXR so I can't comment. The tube sim is great but I use the other two setting a lot too. Obviously the M.B. mode gives you a lot of flexibility; you can really compress you upper register for soloing while leaving the lower notes sounding natural. I will say the gain gives you a certain amount of distortion when maxed out which you might not want but I think is part of the design. There can be manufacture issue so give your unit a good test drive in the shop before you buy.

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    I use the MXR Micro Amp. It does one thing only, and one thing very well, and that is +26dB of clean boost gain. With it I can get extremely dynamic, hard woody, touch sensitive tones. You can blow on the strings and get a sound. It's almost the complete opposite to a compressor I think, could be wrong. But it'll definitely allow you cut through the mix with the right EQ setting. If you don't like compression, Clean Boost is an excellent alternative put some juice into your sound. That's how I use it.