1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS Multicomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Feb 22, 2008.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have an EBS HD-350 head and really like the on board compressor. But I would like it to be dual band so I am looking at the Multicomp pedal. The issue I have is that there is not threshold adjustment on the front panel. Only on the PCB after taking off the back. This seems like a real drawback if using different basses. I have a G&L that is super hot and some passive Fenders that are not so hot. I am assuming this pedal would not work with both very well unless I took the pack off and tweaked the pots. Additionally, it does not indicate that adjusting the pots will set the threshold for the tube or single band mode. In my EBS head, I have a gain control that goes in front of the compressor and I can control the compression ratio via the comp control.

Anyone have issues with the mutlicomp not have adjustingable thresholds on the front panel?

Thanks,

Dave

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, it's a real inconvenience. The only easy solution is to put a switchable boost (or attenuation) pedal between the basses and the MultiComp, to give it a consistent input level.

The "high band" threshold control only operates in Multi-Band mode; the "low band" control acts as an overall full-band threshold control in the tube and normal modes.

3. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    How does the normal compression compare to the multi band and tube compression?

I am thinking dual band might help me compress the lows without over compressing the highs for fingerstyle play. I low the full band compression on my low tones particularly in some boomy rooms. But I seem to lose some bight on the G string.

I was thinking that the Multicomp in an effects loop would be an easy way to use it with different basses. The Preamp gain could be ajusted accordingly. Anyone know if the signal level in an effects loops is at the same level as the direct in?

Dave

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Generally no, the loop will usually be at "line level". But there are exceptions, depending on the specific amp.

The "normal" mode is what I like to call the "boring" mode; it works fine, but the MB mode is better for transparency and the tube mode is better for color.

5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Do you know if the Multicomp would be voiced for line levels?

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No, it is designed to run at instrument level. Line level will make it distort.

7. Yep, the internal pot thing is a deal breaker for me. Plus, I'm the kind of guy who wants to hear the compressor, and only the tube sim mode really gives you that sound. They need to blend the tube sim and multi band modes - make it sound like a Trace Elliot!!!

8. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    Dave! Send an email to Mats Kristofferson at mats@bass.se he's the technical support guy and creator of all the gear...he'll be able to give you a solution!

Peace,
    JC

9. My multicomp is used more as a tone pedal than a compressor. It sorta keeps everything level, but the tube sim sounds so good that I care more about the tone it adds.