EBS Multidrive or Studio?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by krfoss, Jan 22, 2018.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I've been looking into drive pedals for a nice warm overdrive and came across the EBS. Sounds great, and may be what i'm looking for, but I've seen the regular and the "studio" version. I'm noticing the studio version is being sold for cheaper in most places and cant seem to find a head to head review of the two, or an explanation as to how they are different other than cosmetically.

So, can anyone explain to me the differences between the two? Thanks!

Filip Burdon likes this.
  2. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Reviving this fine thread as I'm also curious as to the difference. What I've seen so far suggests that the studio version is not merely an upgrade but a total redesign. Has anyone tried both?

3. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I just ordered a "studio version" and i have the same question.

I was under the impression it was just an upgraded version in terms of the bypass, and made quieter, with the addition of a passive/active selector.

i emailed EBS with this question and hope I get an answer soon.

from what i hear in demos this is an underrated drive. we'll see.

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    In my experience, the previous generation MultiDrive (not the glossy ones) sounds a bit too "fat" and "polite" to work great in the rock/blues bands I have used it in. I think the pedal will mix in a bit of clean sound, with a mild boost somewhere between 50 and 150, making the bass sound a little bloated. The OD then "rides" on top of that. It would probably work great with an eq after.

Other than that, the pedal is very fine, in my opinion. No noise, very robust, simple layout, easy to see settings, impossible to get bad sound from. Interestingly, when I bring my VT Bass to band practice, after some tweaking, I will usually end up with something that is very close to the default sound in the MultiDrive... Go figure...

Active/passive switch is used in the older models as well!

groooooove likes this.
  5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    heard back from EBS, the studio is an "upgraded" version with voltage protection and better bypass, that's all.

this is the exact response from EBS:

Basically the function is the same, but with difference of the switching which is made with relay, so the mechanical hard click is removed. More is that the SE series pedals are protected against over voltage.

6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    With the latest "Studio Edition" pedals, upgrades vary from almost irrelevant, as above, to bordering new products, ie BassIQ, with extra knobs, new switches with expanded functionality etc.

groooooove likes this.
  7. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Thanks for all the information, this is very helpful.

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    There seems to be a number of well known Talkbass members that considered it to be on the polite side already 19 years ago. A trim pot is mentioned, I will see if I have one in my pedal.
    EBS Multidrive