Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS multidrive vs. Fulltone Bassdrive 2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Mar 20, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone tried both? What did you think of them?

2. I received a FULLTONE BASSDRIVE from my girlfriend for my birthday. It's very nice but I'm not in love. I'll try to mess with it a few more times but I tried an EBS MULTIDRIVE at a store yesterday and I really dug that.

Both can get over the top distortion but I'm also looking for a slight break up such as the bass tone on Melissa Ethridge's Like the Way I Do. The EBS nailed that in a second and better than the Fulltone to my ears. I may exchange the FULLTONE for the EBS. We'll see.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I used to own a Fulltone but sold it after buying the EBS. The Fulltone is really the more versatile overdrive pedal but as I don't use overdrive all that much - just for some minor grit - it seemed like overkill. The EBS pedal is smaller, fits in with the other EBS pedals in the pedal board, and is easier to use. So I sold the Fulltone mostly for practical reasons. If I were to choose from sound only perhaps I would have gone with the Fulltone.

4. You think the EBS is less versatile?

I was impressed with the effect of the three position switch and range of drive from slight breakup to over the hi gain distortion. You can get only one tone per setting (FULLTONE has two sounds available per setting) Hmmm....

The FULLTONE so far it hasn't hooked me the way it has some folks here on Talkbass.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, perhaps not less versatile, but the Fulltone has the extra boost switch so you bassically have two settings available live, and also a tone knob. Other than that I guess the differences in sound should be more important for which pedal to choose.

6. Update: I tried the Bassdrive a few more times. I just couldn't really get the sound(s) that I want so I returned it (snailmail) and will have an EBS Multidrive in several days.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hey, sorry to hear the BassDrive didn't work out for you. The MultiDrive wasn't for me, I tried it, but each to their own!

The dredgetone angler (www.dredgetone.com) can do a pretty good mild overdrive also.

8. Got the EBS Multidrive today. Definitely buzzier than the Fulltone and less gain; a bit more of a harshness and bite (could be good). Fulltone is much smoother and 'natural sounding'. The EBS sounds a bit like what is is: solid state.

Er...I may shoot myself but I have to have more time. At the moment I'm inclined to eat my words and four trips of shipping costs.:bag:

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Fulltone leaves the EBS far behind on every application I've been looking for.
    They don't even compare IMHO.
    But then again, I already prefered the Ibanez PD-7 over the EBS.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I agree with you on both points. The EBS is obviously a quality built pedal, and plenty of people like it, but I just couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. Whereas I got the sound I wanted out of the Fulltone is five minutes.

And the PD-7 is a great pedal, especially for the money. I didn't think mild overdrive was it's strong point, but apart from that it's an incredibly versatile pedal. Great value for money - probably the best non-boutique od/dist pedal I've tried.

11. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I am still "REALLY" digging my Fulltone. I agree with JimS it is very natural and smooth sounding. I really only use a touch of OD but it is flexible enough that if I ever need more, it is there. I have been comparing my Fulltone to the Budda Phatbass (I used to own) and I find the Fulltone to be superior, at least to my ears. The Fulltone is a great pedal but I have never tried the EBS.

12. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    This was one of the first bass dist. pedals I tried (~1.5 years ago). The bass player for the band that we shared a space with had one, and he was kind enough to let me try it. From what I remember, it actually had a really good, searing sound. Definitely geared towards more aggressive "distorted" sounds rather than O/D. I think I might give it another try with my rig/setup sometime soon.

Also, how do the Fulltone's extreme/boost settings and sounds compare to the PD7's distortion?

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The PD-7 and the Fulltone have a lot of similarities, especially in the sounds you can produce.
    Of course, the Fulltone does a much better job.
    Now, if you like it but can't afford one, the PD-7 will be a great alternative.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What he said

15. I was playing around with the active/passive button on the left side of the EBS Multidrive. Pretty interesting effect that button has. Hmmm..... I'll take it to our band rehearsal today and see how it works at some volume and in 'the mix.'

16. UPDATE:

I'm really digging the EBS Multidrive. After playing around I've got some tones that I really like and can sink my teeth into. I like the simplicity too: two knobs, one switch. It's staying!

For fuzz I have an old Roger Mayer Voodoo-1 I bought years ago. It's designed for guitar but it preserves the low end well enough to use for electric bass guitar.

17. Yesterday, me and the band covered some System of a Down songs among others (Life of Agony). The MultiDrive was on all the time... man man what a sound. It made me sound good, clear and heavy earthquaked as well... its a great pedal for a metalbassist. Low and nasty.