EBS Multidrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by embellisher, Sep 5, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am wanting to get a good overdrive pedal, and this one looks pretty tempting. I listened to the sound samples on the EBS website, and it sounds like it does distortion really well too. The overdrive settings sound very tubelike to my ears.

Anyone out there have one of these? What is a good price on them? Is it true that you retain almost all of your bottom end, even when using heavily overdriven and distorted tones?

I did a search, but there is not much info on this pedal, other than Allodox' review in the 'Best Overdrive' thread.
  2. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hey there,

i use an ebs multidrive. it's one fine sounding overdrive pedal. in the tube and standard setting the low end is bypassed completely so you get no loss in bass. in flat mode the low end is effected a little but it gives you a more extreme distorted tone. i usually keep in in tube or standard mode.

i paid around $180 and i think it's well worth it. any other question i can answer for you?

3. The greatest overdrive pedal for bass ever.
    You really should get it.

I use mine for metal, and since it's not a distortion, I don't sound like a wannabe guitarist.
    You really can hear your original basssound and other effects you have. Most distortion give u such a sound that it doesn't matter if you play with a Squier or a Warwick, they end up sounding the same.

The standard mode is pretty awesome, makes it sound heavy and loud, like you yourself are sitting on a giant's bass while played, without sacrificing tone.

When played with a pick, you really can hear the enhacement and the dynamic of the pick.
    I play with fingers and it really gives a good envellop for every note you play, if you play fast.
    My Ibanez Phat-Hed tends cut off some notes in fast arpeggio's.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I tried the Multi-Drive a while back when I was looking for a overdrive pedal. I thought it was a very nice, refined sounding pedal. This is pretty typical of EBS. It was a littel too refined for me. Also, I think the quality of EBS products have been questionable recently.
  5. Doryan; Ilike that you say that it doesn't "smother" your tone...that is a good sign?
    Stevekim; that it OD's the entire range in "flat" mode means that it may be decent for expanding my subs in dub mode...?
    But...Lo-Z says it is too "safe" which is a common observation about EBS stuff; why I hesitate. Damn.
  6. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i like OD that i can control. i want to able to dial in the exact amount of grind and i find the ebs lets me do that quite nicely. i can see why you say it's refined, lo-z, but you can also get some good fuzz tones if you crank up the gain. lately, i've been using it in "active" mode with my passive jazz bass and it's just like using a boost pedal. it's not overdrive, but gives my tone more punch and a bit of an edge.

7. It all starts with overdrive, jeff. ;)

Nah, the EBS Multidrive is a pretty sweet guitar like overdrive, but I've tried better. What kind of tone are you going for? More growlie, fatter tone, moderate boominess, full saturation, etc...?
  8. embellisher

I am looking for a nice, tube sounding overdrive, that can also do full on distortion when needed, and that will not rob me of my lows.
  9. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Dredgetone Angler
    Fulltone Bassdrive

I had the Bassdrive. I replaced it with the Angler.
  10. Okee Dokee...looks like the general TB consensus is that the Angler be the way to go?? I'll pass on the EBS and the Fulltone based on all of ya's opinion and slap down the $$ for an Angler. Yer all going to be the first to hear about this if I don't like it of course...
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know why anybody disses EBS. There are some comments about it's questionable quality. Care to back that up?

I've tried the EBS Multi Drive and the Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass. I thought they were the two best distortion pedals out there.
  12. Actually I liked the fulltone for the really fat tube sound, and moderate boominess on a lowwer output bass. Funny enough the Ibanez tubescreamer (TS9 and TS10) works really well on a bass, they can be cheaply modified too so you can get a tone that you're more comfortable with. Input buffer for a browner (a more throaty growl) sound or bass expander mods are most common and you can find anyone that does modifications to do both for around $20. I'm considering on getting a tube screamer then gutting it, modding it and then fitting it with a clean boost.
  13. No no..don't try to confuse me now! It's the Angler dammit! Your input is always appreciated BF 'cause of your understanding of what I'd use it for...
    RAM; I personally think you'd be hard pressed to prove any EBS pedal to be lacking in quality. Both mine seem very well built. The only consistent reaction I hear is that their line is rather "safe" sounding, kinda MOR if you will?
  14. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...that's interesting. When I tried out the Multi Drive, I played it with a MTD 535 through an EBS HD350 with a Bergie 3x10 cab. With the pedal in "bypass" mode, I got a really clean tone. But, when I switched it on, I found the range to run a huge gammut, from polite, almost nonexistant distortion, to over-the-top crunchiness!

Maybe it's just me.:confused:
  15. Maybe it's the gear you played it though? :eek:
  16. well, I don't know? You can be "over-the-top" as well as being "slick"or "polished," you know what I mean? The real test would be of course in a band situation and how it sits in the mix. I need a box that is well built and thought out primarily but also one that will be "distinctive" and set me apart. My Prunes +Custard does this for me for example? "Generic" tone can be a common pitfall. Doesn't mean that it would be bad...just kinda "safe?"
  17. embellisher

The price is certainly great on the Angler. Too bad they only have guitar sound samples on their website. Is it available direct only, or are there dealers that carry it?
  18. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
  19. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

That's were I got it from.
  20. OK not to add more confusion into this discussion but I've tried the BBDI and the Multi-Drive in a music store setting. Both were pretty impressive, maybe a little generic sounding but gave a pretty good range of subtle grind to angrier sounding overdrive.

Is the Angler capable of adding just a hair of edge to the sound or does the OD start off at a fairly aggresive level?

Anyone try all 3 of the above?