1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS Octabass...any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Nov 23, 2018.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't see this pedal mentioned as much as some others and am wondering...is there anything 'not right' with it?

How would you , who know more about it , rate it when comparing it to other analogue octave downs.

Thanks!

2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I have been using it for several years and I like it. It's very good, I love it's sound and flexibility. The tracking is not perfect, though...

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I currently use the MXR BOD but have toyed with the idea of switching to the EBS. Would I be mad to do that? Is there anything the EBS can do that the MXR can't? I don't really find a use for the mid boost on the MXR. Having said that the basic function of the MXR is very good and having 2 differently voiced octaves, and a dry with switchable mid boost makes it very versatile.
    I've never tried the EBS but people like Tony Levin and Scott Devine use it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Zbysek likes this.
  4. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    it's a nice pedal.

however, compressor after it can increase noise, the manufacturer recommends placing compressor before.
    I also like to run mine at like 11V, it sounds better to me than at 9V.

in fact, every analog octave down has it's voice, OC-2 won/t sound like Octabass or Octabass won't sound like MXR, so `rating' them is kinda useless -- it's like about what sound do you dig eventually.

5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    What I like about the EBS octabass is the range switch. It's like having three octavers in one pedal. I have no experience with BOD, so I don't know whether one can achieve the same flexibility using the Growl and Girth knobs...

6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I placed the comp before the octa and like it...

+1

7. I like it a lot.
    At one point I accumulated octave pedals and decided which to keep... the Octabass made it to the last two. It tracked very well, and with its three modes you get exactly the right amount of 'girth' you want.

8. I used to have both (and more).
    They are just different sounding octavers. The MXR was very cool and it is excellent at getting a deep yet defined octave sound. Pretty good tracking too. I preferred the Octabass, but I'd be happy with either of them, really. Each of them has a slightly different vibe.

9. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    I have owned a few, Its a good pedal, built like a tank, tracks ok. IMO, all the octave pedals loose tracking, when you go so “low” I call it warble.

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    which was the other?:)

11. The other was...

drum roll...

(ready?)

:D

MarkBass Octave.

I found it to be the cleanest tracker of them all.
    At the moment I have the MarkBass, and I recently got a Valeton OC-10 because it's a but like a Boss OC-2 and cheap. It does have an OC-2 vibe about it, but I don't think it quite nails it and it glitches on the very low notes, but sounds very good if you keep that in mind and play only higher registers (much like the OC-2 actually).

After I made my decision and kept the MarkBass (I was looking for best tracking and clean octaves)... I sometimes miss some of the ones I let go.

The MXR BOD is very good at 'girthy' octave sounds, it's a good complement to the Octabass or MarkBass ones and it's got almost as good tracking. The other one I sometimes miss is the Aguilar Octamizer. It has more of a 'synth-like' vibe to it. I let it go because I like combining a clean octave with some kind of filth pedal (fuzz/distortion) and in that way I have a lot more control... but the Aguilar is a very interesting octave too. Tracking was not all that great, with the EBS and MarkBass clearly better (in my hands) so I kept those instead as tracking was my priority then.

I chose the MarkBass over the EBS because it had better tracking (I felt), it was cleaner even if a bit less versatile, and... the input and output sockets were on the top, which was very convenient for my board at the time.
    But I liked the EBS a lot.

Another octave people don't seem to talk a lot but I liked was the EHX Octave Multiplexer. Very good tracking and cool sounds too.

armybass likes this.