EBS Octabass - anyone have problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Feb 24, 2001.

1. i bought i octabass pedal today, and yes it does sound great.
    the only problem is that when you switch it off with the foot switch you may have ripped out your patch cable.

it doesn't seem to let any signal thru when it isn't on.
    i am guessing it is defective but i just want to make sure it isn't me.

anyone else have this problem?
  2. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    No, mine works fine - looks like you got a bad one.
  3. thats what i figured, thanks.

nice screen name you work on computers or something?
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...the pedal should definitely allow the signal to pass when the effect is "off"; I mean, damn, how useless would that be if it didn't?! :D

Now, & I'm thinking of e-mailing EBS-
    My OctaBass is 3-4 years old now; it has always sounded good, tracked, & sustained GREAT! That is, until recently. Lately, IMO, the tracking isn't as good as it once was...I wondering if a certain component(maybe a cap)is breaking down.
    Anyone else experience this sorta problem?
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ay, F-ing caramba!
    I e-mail EBS, 'splain my problema, & receive their reply just now...

EBS sez & I quote-
    "We do not have any service reports showing breakdown of components after long term use. Nevertheless, we cannot discard that something has happened with the circuitry. Maybe time for an upgrade to the new Black Label one."

...are they beautiful, or what?
  6. an updrade, boy my pedal must have been broken, i don't remember it having a plack to put a floppy disk. :D

i shipped mine out this morning, hopfully a new one will come soon. when it was on it sounded great.

p.s. jim are they going to replace yours with a brand new one?

if so that is great
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...no, they're NOT!
    I mean, my pedal is "old"...their "fix" is for me to upgrade by buying a new/improved Black model.
    I was gonna e-mail EBS back sayin, "...look, I said I've bought ONE effect in almost 30 years of playing/buying S***; I'm not gonna buy TWO effects which, by the way, happen to do the same thing! I'll just keep using it...if people tell me it sounds like S***, I'll just tell 'em what brand it is".

That was going to be my response.
    Truthfully, I'm thinking of buying one of their Black Funk/envelope pedals...just for fun.
  8. thats a bummer, well i guess if it still works just use it. it probally still sounds better than the new model.
    that classic vibe.

might as well write that email anyways, what can it hurt.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Jim, I don't blame you for being pissed! I can't believe they treated you like that! That's bull%#$@!!!!! I'd contact EBS again, and try getting a supervisor. Write letters. Write more letters. They should stand behind their products!:mad:
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    As much as I like EBS products, I'm afraid to say that they really don't stand behind their older products. When I e-mailed them about my old broken Taurus, I didn't even get a reply. But they were happy to answer any questions I had (in another e-mail) about their current product line.

Too bad about your Octabasses. It's great when it works... but you already knew that.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's not like it's totally unusable; it's just not tracking "as well" when I hold a note for a couple of bars. I mean, before, I was amazed at how well it did track whenever I sustained a note(the note would fade WITH the effect still goin' strong).
    I guess I'll poke around the circuit board to see if anything is obviously "bad"; really, all I wanted from EBS was some direction.
    ...oh, well.
  12. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I have the Octave pedal and the BassIQ and in the many months I have used these, the only problem I have experienced is when the battery was gone.

The only real complaint is the backwards in and out jacks on the octave pedal. I like mine.

13. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Yep - sure do ! Got to pay for all my toys somehow... I take it you know a bit about disk systems ?? Its quite a good name 'cos 99.9% of the people out there don't have a clue :)

Now if someone made a 5 string bass and the model name was "Raid" that would be soo handy !

Back to the bass tho' - Rockinjc - what do you think about the Bass IQ ? I've heard a couple of nice effects from it, but I'm having a bit of difficulty getting one in the UK...

Got myself a Deep Impact on order whilst I'm trying to get the IQ.

14. pay for my toys the same way, set up computer networks for a living. the company i work for supports the offices for a company called EMC in MASS. they build disk systems the size of cars.