1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS Octabass (grey) sucks, am I doing it wrong?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Feb 22, 2008.

1. So i bought a EBS OCtabass (grey one, without switch) and it sucks. The Octave sounds like a lo-pass filter is activated, and the tracking is horrible.

No i wonder, is this a common problom for EBS Octabasses, or might it be a broken unit?

2. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Dont know which model you mean

I gots the new one

love it to bits

hard to judge since you got an older model

3. the gray one is the old one... it is supposed to sound like the new one in the middle position...

and it has reversed in /out jacks!!!

it should be identical but wit only that one sound...

4. Octave pedal tracking is one of life's little mysteries. It depends on so many factors that it's hard to pin down. Best practice is to use a power supply, have the pedal connected directly to the bass (ie; first in the chain), use a strong signal from the bridge pickup, with little or no EQ cut/boost on the bass and adjust your technique for a cleaner note attack. I've also found that inherently 'scooped' sounding pickups don't work too well - so go single coils instead of humbuckers, or boost the mids.

The octave note sounding dull (like a low pass filter) is not unusual I would have thought.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never had an octave pedal that worked well enough to suit me, including EBS black.

6. I'm really bummed though, since everyone sings the praise about EBS Octavers. I will record some soundclips this weekend for you to judge wether sthg is broken, or not.

7. bridge pick ups don't work that good on octavers.... most octave pedals prefer the neck pickup

8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Munji, I was in the same boat until I got the Micro-POG. It works really well for me...great tracking and I like the tone. It also has up and down octaves.

I had a black EBS Octabass and didn't really care for it. I thought the tracking was not good.

Of all the sub-octave pedals I have tried, I liked the Ampeg Sub-Blaster the best, both from a tone and tracking perspective...I thought it was better than the EBS. I still have one but am using the Micro-POG now.

9. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

I have the grey EBS Octabass, and I've had little or no trouble with it. Granted, the octave tone sounds a bit synthesized and it won't track lower than open "A", but for higher register work I've found it to track quickly & cleanly.

I'm usually playing with fingers and I have a fairly clean technique. And I use a power supply. Maybe that makes a difference.

I'm not fussy about the reversed input/output, though...

10. Well, ok, in my case, bridge works better. Just goes to show you, octave tracking is a wild and unpredictable beast!

11. flacoclef

flacoclef Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    I recently got a grey older model and it surely sounds very fat in the low frequencies. It sounds as if the hi's are rolled off. Compared to the OC2, the latter, has more treble and it sounds with way less bass.
    Very different pedals. Boss has that "dance music sound" but the EBS has the ability to make a 4 string sound like a 5 string and it has very nice tracking (anything on the A string). Also the EBS can hold long notes, thing that the Boss seems to fail at.