Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS octaver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Anybody tried the EBS octave pedal? I'm thinking about buying one and have heard that it is significantly better than the Boss OC2. Tell me your experience.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Do a search in this forum on the word octabass, you'll find lots of info.

I like it by the way, tracks and sounds better than the OC-2. But you should try both if possible and decide for yourself.

3. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    How are your Octabasses? Mine does not track too well. It can actually be used only above 5th fret and even then there are occational glitches and misses. Its quite ok with fretless. Is this normal or should I have it checked?

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My OctaBass doesn't work identically for different basses, I think it this can depend on things like output level and overtone content from a specific bass.

I've found there are some tricks you can try to make an octaver work better:

- Use a compressor in front of it
    - Roll back treble, add bass on the bass
    - Pick closer to the neck

My theory is this evens out the volume and also creates a stronger fundamental for the pedal to lock onto (and less overtone content to be confused by).

YMMV!

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I love my EBS octaver. I can sound close to a synth keyboard player when covering dance toons. Strong sound, mine tracks quite well

Rob

6. Gastón

Gastón

Nov 28, 2004
    Spain
    Im looking for Funk keyboard(octave down),so im going to buy the EBS, is a good purchase?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    According to the above, it was great four years ago. Still is.

8. Usually octavers are used on high notes, and provide an octave down effect.
    I've never seen an octaver tracking perfectly low notes, I don't say it doesn't exist, though.
    The tracking depends also of the technique, notes have to be clear and well articulated. You can compress the sound before the octaver to improve that.

Aside that, the octabass is a good unit with a lot of sound possibilities. Surely not the best, but one of them on the market.

9. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Any EHX octve multiplexer users? I know it is twice cheaper then EBS and not so hard to find as oc-2