EBS or Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ceycey, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Ampeg

46 vote(s)
  2. EBS

69 vote(s)
  3. None (Other)

14 vote(s)
  1. ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Which brands cabinets do you think is more respectable and of better quality?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Better quality - EBS.
    However, I'm not a real big fan of neither Ampegs, nor EBS's general tone.
    EBS: too much and maybe even harsh highs, less mid.
    Ampeg: not clean enough
  3. Sounds strange, but I really like the newer version of peavey's 410, the 410TXV.. In an A/B comparison, it nailed my trace elliot 1048H to the wall... Ive tried EBS cabs and they don't do midrange somehow and the horn can be a little overpowering adding (with the wrong bass) adding a brittle quality to the projection. I recently tried a 610HLF Ampeg box and was really quite impressed... Clean and punchy but with plenty of zingy top end. The Amp was an SVT CL and the bass, a Warwick Streamer LX5... Out of the two, Im with Ampeg...
  4. ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    I have tried an Ampeg BXT 115 and i like it. Warm tone. Classic Ampeg quality with extended range. But now i'm considering buying an EBS. I don't have a chance to try them because EBS does not have any distributor in Turkey.

If there is, can someone make a comparison who used both EBS and Ampeg? I'll use it with my Ampeg SVT3-Pro head.
  5. I own an EBS 410, and I must say that it sounds absolutely great :)
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I owned an EBS Fafner and EBS 4x10 for about 4 years and found it was both clean and gritty, depending on your own preference. The highs could get a little harsh, but the tweeter is adjustable and the eq on the Fafner has more headroom than any Ampeg I've ever tried...in fact, it had so much headroom that I think you'd be hard pressed to find a tone you COULDN'T get.

Furthermore, it cut through like nobody's business, and that was barely pushing the amp. With a loud drummer and guitarist, I was voluntarily turning myself down at 3! Of course, IMO, it takes mids to cut through...;)
  7. ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Ram do you have enough lows with the 4x10? I am thinking 4x10 for standalone but the range is 70hz-18khz. But the 311 have 40hz to 18khz. Can 311 be a better option to 4x10?
  8. I certainly have more than enough lows with my EBS 410 and Fafner head:)
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I should be clear, that I no longer own that rig.

But, I'll say the EBS 4x10 is no slouch in the lows department. I have a 6-string, and the EBS had no problem reproducing low notes. It's definitely not as full sounding as my Epifani 4x10 UL, but I think the EBS can hold its own against most. The 70Hz rating is conservative, for sure. Still, if you like the punch of the 4x10 (which is as punchy as it gets) but play with lower than drop-D tunings, I think you'd be a little happier adding a 15" cab. YMMV.

I've never heard the 311, so I can't comment on it.
  10. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a 311, and I play 4s, 5s, 6s, and 7s regularly. I had an Ampeg 410 HE. I didn't care for the breakup in tone when I pushed it. I sold my 311 to a guitar place because I didn't have enough watts to pump it, but when I later added 800 watts and a BBE BMax, I bought it back for much less than I sold it for, and it rocks! The only thing it needs is casters for moving it around, and it would supplant my Avatar 212 as my regular gig cab. Be aware that it is VERY full in the low end, the mids are a little shy, and the highs will rip your ears off if you max the tweeter. On the bright side, the tweeter is MUCH higher quality than the Foster that most production cabs use, and the sound is much better. YMMV, etc.
  11. Ampeg PR410HL. I do not own one and have not even heard the ebs 410.

Blindly, I am willing to bet that the PR410HLF will eat the e.b.s. cab for lunch.

There are many more great cabs but given those choices, I would go with that cab.
  12. ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Ampeg PR410HL is the greatest cab i have ever heard. I can recomend that cab to everyone. If I would definetely go for that if i had more money.
  13. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    The Pro series Ampeg are heavier than soviet tank. :D
  14. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Da! I agree, comrade! One of the reasons I let mine go...
  15. jorge84

Aug 25, 2005
    czech rep.
    I had B2-R with SVT-410 HLF.. The amp was quite underpowered.. Now I have EBS-1preamp with QSC PLX 1602 and this is what I call a real bass amp! I can plug as many boxes I want (I´m only limited with impendance 2ohms per channel - and it gives 900W per channel).. EBS is the best preamp I´ve ever heard.. Ampeg isn´t as clean as EBS is.. Someone says they can´t get enough bottom from EBS.. I can.. Now I have two boxes - SVT-410HLF and home-made 2x10" (eminence gamma), which plays extremely loudly and conctretelly.
  16. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    I have a EBS410 and 2 Neo 112 cabs, and I think they are great. The 410 is loud as hell and cut through much better than any of the Ampeg 410 cab I`ve played.
    The only Ampeg cabs I like, is the 810 and the 808. The 808 is a very cool cab, quick and loud. I played that one for years.
    Someone played the EBS Neo 410 yet?
  17. janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Yup. I have been looking for amps/cabs for some time now and yesterday i did an a/b test with the EBS410 vs the EBSneo410 (amp was an EBS HD350). I have to say both are really good. The neo lacks the deepest bottom end of the 410, is a bit more growly and has a tiny bit more high-mids; and it weighs nearly 10kg less :) at 32kg.
  18. Eddard

Oct 28, 2005
    EBS!!! I love EBS´ cabs, specially NEO Series´ cabs. Low weight, great sound. My favourite rig is EBS TD 650 head with EBS2x12" NEO and EBS2x10" NEO. I have compared EBS´cabs with Ampeg´s cabs and EBS wins in all the senses.
  19. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I ve just seen this subject.

I ve owned the 810 ampeg many years ago, and I sold it because it was too bign and I really thought that it was the best cab ever. Then I went at the music store to buy a new 410 ampeg (classic serie). Their was an EBS 410 too. I plugged my svt3pro in the ampeg on, and then in the EBS one. Man, their is a huge difference. Dynamic, quality, clarity, power...EBS cabs are really better.

I really think ampeg cabs color the sound. If you search a versatile cab , you had to go with EBS stuff. Note that neodynium cabs have more presence (medium) than the classic evolution pro serie. And 12' speakers are awesome!

Moreover, have you heard about markbass??? :bassist:
  20. I gotta vote ampeg here - but only for their amps, and more specifically, for the SVP-CL.
    The cabs are just WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too expensive over here, so I'll pass on them.