Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS & pedalboard power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by echo008, May 2, 2005.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    hi there ....
    I just ordered an EBS BassIQ and UniChorus. I want these of course to be placed in my signal chain powered through my board, but I have heard that there are issues regarding power supplys and EBS pedals.
    I took this quote below from Harmony Central regarding EBS pedals.
    Can someone tell me if its safe to just hook up the EBS pedals the same as any other pedal into my pedal board? or am I doomed to use batteries!

From Harmony Central:
    "The DC power input is 9volts at 15mA, what this means is ONLY USE THE EBS POWER ADAPTOR or batteries. Boss, Ibanez, and Dunlop pedals are almost all at 9volts, 200mA. So if you use an adaptor from one of those company's (or anyother) to power this unit you will burn it out and it will stop functioning. SO BE WARNED."
    From Harmony Central:

- Tom

2. I use my BassIQ on a board powered by a One-spot (800 mA) and it hasn't burned out yet. I always thought that a pedal takes what it needs, rather than what it's given.

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Stupid... :rolleyes:

A Boss PSA, "9v 200mA" means that it can give 200mA max. But it gives what pedals ask for (just as mo'phat (I love Wiggum btw... :smug: ) said) !! If the ebs is connected, the PSA will give only the 15mA needed.

Electrically, it's the load that determines the current, not the power (voltage) supply. Pedals power supply are voltage supply, not current supply, so they produce allways 9volts and the current varies with the load (the pedals, here). A current supply would act reversed, the current would allways be the same and the voltage would vary with the load. But pedals power supply aren't current supply, so this case isn't interesting for musicians...

It could burn (not even sure...) if you put a 12 or 18 volts power supply.

You can notice that batteries are also voltage supply. Did you ever find "15mA" batteries ???? :)

4. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    First of all ... I seriously hope you are not calling me stupid for asking a question about something I know nothing about, as well I do not want to risk damage to almost $500.00 in equipment, on that basis alone I would consider the opposite to be true.

So I gather I am safe using the EBS pedals like any other
    thanks
    - Tom

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    No, the "stupid" was for the comment on HC. I allways say something like that : When you ask a question you seem stupid one minute, when you don't, you stay stupid all your life. You'll never see me calling someone stupid for asking a question ! ;) Scuze me, it wasn't really clear.

It is safe to power the ebs pedals the same way than the others, with protected, filtered, stabilized power supply. Such as the Boss PSA (not the ACA btw), or other power supply reserved for that purpose.

6. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Gotcha Basstyra ....
    Thanks for the info. it is appreciated.
    - Tom

7. Eh...froufrou parlez vous. Heez French mondieu! Perhaps 'e meens Trez stoopeed!

(absolutely a joke! Basstyra's a great asset on the boards.) :hyper: