1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebs Pedals issues-BassIQ, Unichorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phippsyg, Aug 1, 2007.

1. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Despite the fact that these guys make such great stuff I am having so many issues lately. Some people would have read my issues with the Microbass which I have managed to bring to a happy medium. My questions this time regard the Bass IQ and the unichorus.

The unichorus-I am getting some distortion out of this pedal like it is being overloaded, any way around this? One of my students plugs his Ibanez in which has a really hot output and it can't handle his low E at any setting. When plugged into my Microbass it also disorts if I am using the BassIq before it in the chain. Otherwise it is fine unless I don't have the -10db pad in.

The BassIq-I find I can't get any really wet funky sounds out of this like I hear on the eBS site. Any suggestions? Can get some kind of cool sounds but nothing that makes me think it's great. Due to having to turn down beacause of the chorus pedal it is hard to get it to respond sometimes as well. But even plugging straight into it I can't get that "wet" sound.
    Thanks guys!

2. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I've had bad luck with their stuff. Poor reliability. The chorus and reverb are overrated too. The DLS chorus blows it away and I liked the digiverb better than their reverb. I was not impressed with the octave box either though I can't recommend anything else at this point.

3. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've tried EBS's whole pedal line, and the only pedal I whought was worth the money was the MultiComp, which I bought. Most Boss-pedals sound better than their EBS-cousin in my opinion. Still, EBS makes great amps!

4. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Forgot to mention, I bought an EBS multicomp from MF and it was DOA...

5. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    i had the same experience with the chorus, it can´t handle hot signals that well. that´s why i did not buy it (that was years ago)...well, all of that happened years ago, before i got into diy...before the ce-2b, the small clone, the dc-2 and the t.c. :D
    btw, dc-2 can´t handle hot signals that well either.
    ce-2b, small clone and t.c. - no prob.

cheers,
    lowstar

6. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    tc changes your tone, even in (buffered) bypass mode.

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    What settings are you using on the BassIQ? I can get some good wet funky sounds on the Hi-Q setting with the attack set low and the threshold set to handle my bass output. I play passive basses though I have gotten good results with active ones as well.

8. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Have tried setting it all over the place. With the attack really low (do you mean turned clockwise, bout 4 0clock) I just get a non responsive sound with no highs. Turned the other way I get a bit of effect but it is really just my bass sound with a little bit of effect, not wet at all. It is bizzare as on the unichorus the pedal just clips with too much signal.
    With the threshold why would you not just turn this all the way up so the effect responds. If the threshold is down I hardly get any sound at all. Also when I play higher notes, like on my g or c strings, it doesn't really respond. Could this be an issue with the bass. Between these 2 and my issues with the microbass EBs are driving me crazy.

9. The correct threshold setting is absolutely critical to getting the right sound. Too low and you get nothing but muffled moosh, too high and the slightest touch of the strings triggers the filter into the stratosphere before you've even played a note - the filter never relaxes and all you get is a horrible trebley mess.

It has to be right in the butter zone so that you maximise the effect. Remember that the drippy sound is a consequence of the filters movement; A static filter doesn't sound very good, it must be on the move from low to high and back again in order to sound right. It's all about contrast.

The issue with the higher notes is just that there's not as much energy in the high notes, you have to compensate using a consistent right hand technique, or perhaps a compressor might help as well. EBS stuff does tend to be a bit on the subtle side; Don't expect the BassIQ to recreate Sir Psycho Sexy or anything!

BTW, when talking about attack settings it helps to remove the ambiguity and talk of "short" or "long" attack settings. Shorter = anti-clockwise for the BassIQ and I would recommend starting in the 9-12 o'clock region while you get that threshold in the butter zone. Hi-Q mode is more pronounced than the other modes.

10. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks for the reply. Bugger, I kind of was after that Sir Psycho Sexy sound. Some of the clips on the EBS site are close t it, but I can't get anywhere near it. Do you have any suggestions with the unichorus problem?
    BTW thanks for helping me out with the microbass problem. It is defineataly not totally resolved but have managed to work it so I am happy enough with it (most of the time). Interestingly one of my students plugged his passive fender into it yesterday and it also clipped the pedal, so i don't know if the issue has been a pedal that is too hot.
    Cheers, Glenn.

11. I think it's the same for the Unichorus, too hot an output. But a passive overloading the microbass sounds odd, that would lead me to think that either the power supply is insufficiently rated or there's a fault.

12. Electro Harmonix BassBalls. Unfortunately though, for me, its about the only sound I can get out of it :meh:

13. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've also found that EBS stuff is overpriced and overrated. The only one of their pedals I'd consider is the Octabass, but I already have a Sub-Blaster. :D

14. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    and ? :confused:
    it was about overloading the input, and i mentioned 3 chorus pedals that can handle hot signals.

cheers,
    lowstar