Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I'm thinking about adding a compressor and a chorus pedal to my rig. I'm not very experencied with effects. What's your opinions on the EBS pedals ?

2. I like my ebs pedal (MultiDrive) but some people have been having reliability problems lately

3. I haven't tried them yet but there are a bunch of soundclips one their <a href="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2001/index_ebs.html">homepage</a>.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have the multicomp and the multidrive... I haven't had any problems with either, and the multicomp has become one of those pieces of gear that I won't play without... The multidrive, on the other hand, is very cool but i don't really find myself needing a distortion right now. That's why mine is going on ebay soon!

I have played with the uni-chorus and the BassIQ pedals, they were both very cool and very easy to get great sounds out of!

P@

CraigTB likes this.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In reference to your "chorus" - I had the Boss CE-20 Chorus Ensemble. I sent it back for a refund after trying to get what I wanted out of it for over 3 weeks, (before the 30-day return policy expired).

It just had a "metallic ring" I didn't like. Plus only a couple the 5 or 6 chorus "voices" it offered were useful for bass, (e.g., one is named "Acoustic Guitar"). The differrent choruses weren't really distinctive, IMO, at least for bass.

I then picked up the EBS UniChorus and have kept it. It's a bit more expensive but it sounds warmer and more "natural" to me. In fact, I talked to Bass Central and Bass Northwest about the Boss and they both told me, in effect, "Sure, we'll sell you the Boss........but the EBS is the unit we all own."

The flanger and the pitch modulator of the EBS don't impress me all that much, but those were just gravy - I bought it for the chorus. Plus the EBS is very compact and much more straightforward whereas the Boss CE-20 is relatively large with a lot of blinking lights and dials.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm new to the EBS MultiComp, so cannot comment on long-term reliability etc. So far so good though, it does the job without sounding like it's doing the job. I'd say it's pretty transparent, and it doesn't change my sound. Nothing worse than a compressor that steps all over your sound. It's pretty quiet too, slight hiss between songs, but definitely slight.

It's got a high price for a stomp box, but I was looking to avoid adding anything else to my rack. My rack is already too heavy, and I like an empty space in the rack to help distribute the heat coming off the preamp. This was a great solution for me, and I wouldn't hesitate the recommend the MultiComp to anyone looking for an outboard comp.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the Unichourus/ Octaver & BassIQ great pedals........the Chorus is very lush!

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I bought the octabass, multicomp and unichorus this week. I had problems with the octabass, which wouldn't bypass (no signal pass through when not on) and the unichorus rate knob wasn't working properly. Even when the rate was at zero there was still a fast chorus.
    :(
    Now, I love the multicomp and octabass sounds. But the unichorus is unusable until I get it replaced.

But when 2 out of 3 pedals have a problem, I have to wonder about the reliability and worry if the third one is going to break down sooner or later.
    :mad:

9. I hate to say it but my Octabass is messing up now too...The switch doesn't always work.
    Just a thought; folks might try replacing the batteries when a pedal messes up? Low juice can cause switching problems in some newer stompboxes, my P+C for example.

10. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    I have an Octabass which also started crapping out on me about 6-months ago after about 2 years of use. The pedal started making noise in my signal chain when run on batteries or AC adapter, like what you would expect from a cheap non-true bypass pedal. It comes and goes and right now it is gone, but who knows when it will come back. EBS' are buffered bypass, not true bypass, but I've not had this problem with the other EBS pedals I own (multicomp, bassiq, multidrive, unichorus).

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

bene - I wonder if it just that model??? (I'm a tech-dummy, so bear with me).

All I know is that my EBS UniChorus is whisper-quiet and "non-filtering" when not in use and that "Bass Player" thought it was the ultimate in non-studio choruses.

My Akai Deep Impact has true bypass and the EBS UniChorus is as silent as that unit without wimping out my signal when not in use.

As far as I know, Fulltones are the only other bass effects with true bypass........but I'm not an effects nut, so there could be others.

Anywho, I was just thinking it was something peculiar to the Octabass since you weren't the only person to mention it as a "problem child."

12. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i love the sound of the ebs multidrive but i've had two crap out on me. the first one would just die and cut all signal after playing for 30 minutes or so. the second one i got failed to bypass when i stomped on the switch, it was always on overdrive mode. both times the batteries were brand new.

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have all the EBS Black Label pedals, except the newest DynaVerb, and I have had zero problems. To my ears the pedals are very quiet and the bypass is better than most other pedals (read: Boss) I have tried. There is a detoriation when adding on more pedals though (five pedals in bypass mode in a row) so I have now reconfigured them into a separate effects loop using a Boss LS-2 line switch pedal.

14. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    hmmmmmm...definitely sketchy. I just bought my second octabass (the first one crapped out without a lot of abuse). This new one barely works; it's going back to the store. I would steer clear.
    by the way, does anyone know of a GOOD octave divider....I have the boss, it's ok, really thin compared to the ebs, but it actually tracks better.
    Anyone try the MXR?

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I'd also like to hear opinions about any good octave pedal recommendations.

brad cook

16. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    Ebs pedals are indeed utter crappish reliable.
    I was in my bassstore a couple of weeks ago and I saw some kid playing with a unichorus and then he bought it, and I asked to the owner if I could try one, too. He got a new one out of the box and it failed working after stomping it twice!!! Then he got another one, but I didn't buy it after all, A/Bing it with a boss ceb got me the boss...

17. I can't say I have had any problems with my Multidrive but i've only had it for 2 or 3 months

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Akai Deep Impact pedal tracks very well as a octave box, as well as doing a bunch of other cool stuff.......for about the price of the EBS.

19. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I've been using an EBS gray-label Octabass (the older model with reverse jacks). No reliability problems here.

20. I own the very same and havn't really used much over these past years. Even when I did it was kept in a rack switching thingy. Now it's in my pedalboard setup; first time it's been gigged in years. Out of the blue...the switch has started cutting in and out? I used to scoff at all of youse who whined about those rugged boxes breaking down or having "reliability issues". Now I find it all to be true.....(!)
    But like I brought up previously; with some stompboxes, the switches become notoriously un-reliable if the battery starts to wind down? It is a fact? Could these EBS boxes be wired in a similar way?? Is it a power supply issue? I kinda don't think so but remembered how silly I felt complaining to old man Crowther in NZ about his Prunes and Custard only to have him point out the easy solution; change the battery. Doh.