1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS preamps, how many models, differences etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vooch311, May 8, 2006.

1. vooch311

vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    So I have read about the EBS Classic, EBS-1 v1 and EBS-1 v2preamps. Is that right? Is the Classic the same as the ebs-1 v1?
    What are the differences in tone in these pre's. I'm looking for a tone similar to Ric Fierabracci (played for Yanni, Chick Corea).

2. vooch311

vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    biz-ump

3. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I'm not familiar with Ric Fierabracci's music or gear, but I have experience with EBS preamps. If possible I suggest finding out which EBS pre he uses.

There are differences between the Classic and EBS1vII. Both are the same basic physical design and features, but they tweaked the input gain range and mid EQ range on the Classic to the point where front panel settings on one do not translate verbatim to the other.

I think the EBS-1v2 is more modern sounding (whatever that means) with a more peaky sounding midrange in high Q mode (I like this for getting the burpy Jaco bridge pickup sound). The Classic sound is similar, but overall warmer and not quite as modern sounding. Also it sounds to me like the noise floor on the Classic might be just a tiny bit higher. This opinion is based on direct side by side A/B comparisons. I haven't played their original design preamp (before the EBS1-v2) so I have no opinion re that model.

You may also want to check out the EBS MicroBass II. I think it's the best sounding stomp box bass preamp I've played. Very hi fi EBS sound, with a nice feature set and a low noise floor. I'm using one live as my only preamp, with very good results. So far I have no complaints.

The MicroBass II is closer to the preamp design used in their integrated preamp/power amp bass amps. As far as I know EBS doesn't make an integrated bass amp with the EBS1-v2/Classic preamp design.