1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS Reidmar + GK212 Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AbrasaxEos, Jul 25, 2017.

1. AbrasaxEos

AbrasaxEos

Jan 13, 2017
    MA
    Hey all, long time looker on the forums, but can't seem to find anything real specific on this here. I play a '99 Warwick Corvette STD5 through a EBS Reidmar 250 + GK NEO212II cab, and it feels as though the cab can't handle what either the bass, the head, or the combination of the two is giving it.

I wouldn't really say it is doing a classic 'fart out' I know what that sounds like, and it isn't really clipping/distorting at the cone like that. Plus, it seems as though the head has way more headroom than it would possibly need with that cab, considering it is a 600 watt rated cab, and I am only running half the wattage of the head due to the 8 ohm rating on the cab.

The best way I can describe it is that the tone is kind of blatty, like there is some kind of excess resonance in the cab, and lacking in punchiness and definition. I have done some extensive fiddling with the EQ from totally flat to big cuts in the bass and low mids, I have everything on the bass at center, I have dialed in and backed off the compressor, cut the gain back so that I wasn't getting any of the soft clip that EBS touts the amp as having, and checked out all the joints and construction of the cab, which is totally solid as far as I can feel and tell.

So, I figured I'd tune in here and see if anyone had any experience or ideas before I took more drastic steps, like unloading the head or the cab. I play pretty aggressive bass for a no-wave/experimental/noise band and we rehearse pretty loud, though in a small space, so we're not actually turned up all that high. I probably have the gain at about 9-10 o'clock, compressor at noon, and master at 3 or 4. I probably notice it most when I really dig in with finger style playing, and on loud sustained notes.

Thanks for any help or ideas, I appreciate the collective wisdom and insight on these forums.

2. Sounds like not enough cab for the gig. A HPF3 might get you a bit of breathing room but I think doubling up on the cabs will be necessary before you kill the one you have.

Kro and Geri O like this.
  3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Have you played it in another/larger room? Often the acoustics (standing waves/other anomalies) in the room adversely affect the sound of the bass.

4. AbrasaxEos

AbrasaxEos

Jan 13, 2017
    MA
    This could be the issue. I have played it in larger venues, and I don't think I notice it as much. It seems strange that the cab would not be able to handle what the head was throwing at it, in that it can't be more than 125 watts even if I had it dimed, which is 1/5th of what it can supposedly handle. I may try to shift the cab around in the room, and maybe even turn it down a bit to see if it makes a difference. It is a rectangular room of roughly I think 9'x20', with maybe an 8' ceiling.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Just keep in mind that the 600w rating of the cab is just the thermal rating. The mechanical side of things is what causes 'blattiness or fartiness', usually by having too much gain or bass boost dialed in.

6. AbrasaxEos

AbrasaxEos

Jan 13, 2017
    MA
    Not that anyone was hotly debating or following this too closely, but I did want to let you guys know that I think the 'reflected wave' theory was correct. I realized that the space had a raised floor set about 12 inches off of a concrete slab, so I think having the cab directly on the floor was resulting in some reflected waves that were causing the strange sounds. I got some casters for the cab (added bonus, now easier to move around), and it basically fixed the problem. A little bit of EQ to dip some of the low mids out got things back to the tone I was used to.

Thanks for the help.

wave rider likes this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Are you maxing out the bass control on the amp?

8. AbrasaxEos

AbrasaxEos

Jan 13, 2017
    MA
    No, I am cutting it both on the amp, as well as on the onboard preamp on the bass. The complaint wasn't so much the sound of excess driver excursion/farting out - I know what that sounds like. It was slightly higher, and kind of sloppy/blatty sounding, and I think it was just some kind of low mid/high bass frequency getting reflected back into the cab from the floor.

9. Jable

Jable

Nov 6, 2017
    It might be that the cab isn't well suited for the head. I know when I was doing research before buying my Reidmar, I saw quite a few posts that strongly advocated using EBS cabs with EBS heads. People were trying reidmars through SWR's and GKs maybe even Edens and most of them didn't get the tone they wanted from the reidmar when this was the case. I bought a used EBS cabinet from Guitar center and through my reidmar I can assure you get that sweet sweedish bass tone you can't hardly get elsewhere. Now I'll be exclusively be playing through EBS until the sky falls.

ErnieD likes this.
  10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    @Jable....Good to know. I just came across the EBS Reidmar 500 head first time and really liked what I heard in the Youtube vid. So many different tones. I've started using my fretless 5ers exclusively in one band I'm in and that head sounds great with the fretless in that video.

But I do use GK, Ampeg, Genz Benz cabs; 1x10, 2x10, 1x12, 212 and a Barefaced Big Twin T.

Wonder if this head would have any issues with any of these cabs? With the cabs I now own, sure not looking to buy a EBS cab(s) soon. I'll have to research this some more.

I went online looking for the EBS 250 Reidmar, didn't see it for sale anywhere. The 500 would be fine....if it works with the cabs I currently own. Also, considering the TC-E BH550. But this EBS really caught my ear now. Will check this out some more soon. peace, e.

11. Jable

Jable

Nov 6, 2017
    @ErnieD The EBS Reidmar 250 and 500 are essentially the exact same head. They both offer the same output 250 W RMS and 470 W Dynamic) and have all the same specs, the 500 is the new model of the same thing. I heard it was slightly smaller. There i only one speaker output though and it is a speakon connection. I don't know if this helps you figure out whether it will work with your current cabs but i figured it could be useful.

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Thanks for the helpful reply here Jable. I found a good deal on the TC-E BH550 so bought that today. I need the TonePrint effects options in my main band, so I can retire some effects pedals I use.

Still like to try that EBS amp first hand; maybe one day. peace, e.

13. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I use an EBS head, albeit an older HD350 that I deliberately sought out. The Reidmar seems to have the same preamp functionality and most likely shares the same DNA. I use my head with a pair of Eden 1 x 10 cabs, or my Barefaced Big One, or (my current favourite) a homebuilt 2 x 15 cab loaded with Faital 15PR400 drivers. The EBS handles all the cabs I’ve tried without any issues, and I’d be surprised if the Reidmar wasn’t just as capable.

Jable and ErnieD like this.