EBS Scare...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Nov 10, 2004.

1. I had a the fright of my life last night, when just as we were about to start our gig, I was using my new fretless, when there was suddenely a surge in the signal from the bass and my EBS HD-350 head starts making a horrible thudding noise. I quickly unplugged the jack from the bass, then turned the amp down - waited a few seconds then plugged the bass back in and it stopped. Bearing in mind we had just sound checked, plus I had played through the amp for about ten minutes earlier on - and all was fine - this was the worst possible timing as we were literally about to start playing.

It happened twice more and I was really embarrassed and even more worried that the bass was just going to keep freaking out and then we would have to abandon the gig because I only had the one bass - but thank God it settled down and we played an OK set - to cap it off though the keyboard player also had gremlins on his signal to the mixing desk so we lost him a few times making it a very frustrating night over all.

I was glad the bass sorted itself out - but can anyone suggest a reason why this sudden surge in signal occured because it really threw me and was highly worrying - any answers would be great....thanks M
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If it only happened on this one gig, and the keyboard player had gremlins as well, I'd just suspect a power issue. Be sure to use a power conditioner, preferably one that meters the level of your source power, and make sure to spread your band out on the outlets onstage so that you aren't all drawing too much from the same circuit. If it happens again, THEN be concerned.

You also might want to check your cables for a short. Its a small possibility.
  3. I am not a fan of active electronics, especially onboard these beautiful exotic basses. My guess is that something is going in your onboard battery powered preamp and wiring related thereto.
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Aah, the mysterious "something."
  5. My thoughts entirely - I just had the battery and jack socket looked at on the bass - I think there might be something loose or something touching something it shouldn't in the circuit cavity - thanks for seconding my gut feeling - I don't think it's the amp at all (didn't know where best to post this otheriwse...) :eyebrow:

6. I always wondered how a basic warwick fortress or vette, with fender-style simple passive single coils, would sound.

But I must be a laggard or something to not embrace gimmicky, noise inducing, time-dating and redundant circuitry.