EBS Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassophile, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Hi there,

I'm interested whether EBS make their own original speakers or there is some other manufacturer which make it for them. :rolleyes:

2. BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    EBS use Eminence speakers, at least in 10", as i'm not sure about the rest, and Selenium tweeters.
  3. Jani_sl0

Jul 21, 2005
    Europe, Slovenia
    Few weeks ago i was having some problems with my EBS 410... (needed to replace the speaker drivers..) I mailed EBS and they send me specs for the installed drivers (without any model names.. just specs)..And guess what: specs are the same as Eminence Gamma 10.. ;)
  4. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    WOW! As Gamma 10s are less than 60€ here in Europe, I really don't see why the cheapest stores charge over 1200€ for an EBS 410 box! Haven't they recovered the R&D costs of designing a plain old bass reflex cab? :eyebrow: Market rules...

Damn snobism! :confused:

P/S: I love EBS but I think they're insanely overpriced. And I'm pissed at the fact that it's more expensive here in Europe (were they're built). I think if they kept such prices in the USA, they wouldn't be able to compete, so we're paying for it. That sucks!
  5. Yeah, don't even joke about it! the EBS stuff is rediculously expensive here in South Africa too...
  6. I'm pretty sure EBS is more expensive in the USA than here in Europe. I often so US shops with a 1600 dollar price card to the head, while here, you can buy one for 1100
  7. And dees, I agree 100% with you....
    Check every stores in Europe and in the USA, you'll see thet a lot of them are more expensive in the USA....
    I get my complete rig for 2000€

8. I checked Emeninence web site, and I'm pretty sure that Gamma 10" is in game. But the same speakers I heard in Marshall 7410 (4x10") with the same amp (ebs td650), and sound is totally different. Ebs is warmer and more compact comparing to Marrshall which is cold and with less dynamics.
    This tells us how much cabinet design and material are important in building good sound.
  9. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    What I've always found strange with EBS 10" speakers is their poor band width.
    The 4x10" is 70 hz to 18 khz which I found very limited in the low range compared to my 36 hz Glockenklang Quatro and to the 32 hz of Tech soundsystems 4x10".
    Any thoughts on that notice ?

10. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    The specks on this 410 cab must be very conservative, I have no problem getting enough deep bass out of my EBS 410.
    What do you need sounds down to 36Hz for on a bassrig?
    It will only come out as rumble if you can hear it at all. Just a waste of power in my opinion
  11. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    By the way, those Tech cabs looks interesting. Are they any good?
    can you describe the sound caracter?
  12. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Hi all,
    I'm bumping this thread once more after a while because I'm interested about the ORIGINAL EBS410 drivers' impedances.
    I have a 410 too (un-modded,factory specs:4 Ohms) wich I'm using as a top with a Epifani T115 clone (8 Ohms) as a bottom.My head,the Yamaha BBT500 D-class amp handles without a problem the two cabs in parallel (2,67 Ohms) but the EBS is,as expected,louder than the bottom box.What I intend is to internal-rewire the EBS in order to get it as a 8 Ohms cab,thus having equal impedances either on 410 and 115.Actually,the 115 is hearable as a discrete "sub" (I can "feel" it more than "hear" it) but I'd want to get the two cabs on the same impedance/wattage level.
    Unfortunately,my rig is at the rehearsal hall so I cannot open the EBS right now.Besides,I'd like to know the details BEFORE opening the box,just as a time-saving issue.
    Does anyone remember what impedance have the EBS/Eminence Gammas originals?
    8 or 16 Ohms?
    Thank you!
  13. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Did you get all the Thiele-Small Parameters?
    It could be a driver that have some parameters in common with the Gamma 10 but the EBS speaker is 200W while the Gamma is 300W so I would guess some other parameters might be different too. Did you get the x-max parameter? The Gamma 10 only has an x-max of 1,6mm and that is not good for a bass speaker.
    BTW the EBS 410 Ive tried did not lack any lows moreso than the Ampeg 410´s that are rated much lower on paper. EBS seem quite honest about their ratings.
  14. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    The power handling difference could come from the voice coils' impedances (different wire gauges).It might be a 16 Ohms coil rated at 200W (as probably is in the EBS) as opposed to a 300W/8 Ohms version,since AFAIK Eminence makes both of them,but esentially is the same driver (same parameters except electrical Q).
    This is a little strange one...according to this,the best bass response means the biggest Xmax available?!?What about Doppler distortions?
    ...and wait,in this case,why almost nobody uses those automotive,Xmax +/- 8 mm subs?
  15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not necessarily the longest xmax available, but a good rule of thumb is to have adequate xmax at 100 Hz to handle 1/4 the rated power of the driver. At 100 Hz the Gamma 10 reaches xmax at about 13 watts. Even a 200 watt version would be best with at least 3mm. The less expensive Beta 10 specs out far better than the Gamma, but is usually passed over because it has a lower wattage rating.
  16. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    EBS uses Poplar cabinets.
  17. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sorry but no they don´t. ;)
    They use finish birch ply in their ordinary speaker line and pine plywood in their Neo cabs.