Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS TD650 Volume concern

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Jun 7, 2005.

1. I often have to play outdoor venues and big stages. I'm trying to make a decision btw an ampeg SVT4-Pro and an EBS TD650. I like the EBS tone better, but it is more expensive and I'm worried the 650 watts won't be loud enough compared to the 1000+ watts that the ampeg can put out?

Does anyone know if the EBS will compete volume wise through the same set of cabs?

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, it may not compete volume wise (I havn't tried one), but that's not to say it won't be loud enough for outside venues and big stages. Heck i've done really big Auditoriums and outdoor gigs with my weak 300watts from the Warwick.

Just make sure you pair it with sensitive cabs, and you'l be right.

3. Thats what I'm asking: will it be loud enough for big stages? I'll be pairing it with eden cabs, so there is no problem there...

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I would take the EBS because it is the better amp. I wouldn't worry about volume with either one because they both are very loud amps. Many say the EBS is the loudest amp on the market. Keep in mind that it takes ten times the power to double the volume so 650w compared to 1200w is barely noticeable.

5. Yeah, I have noticed that the EBS is very loud for a medium powered amp...

And it doesn't break up at high volume either - unless u want it to...

6. I had both a 650 and 350 for a while. Great amps. A few things to take into consideration:

-The 350 puts out its full 350 watts at 4ohms
    -The 650 puts out 440 watts at 4ohms, and will only put out its full 650 watts into 2ohms
    - The 650 is 3 rack spaces, the 350 is only two
    - The 650 is WAY more expensive than the 350

They both have almost identical preamps (with the 650 adding a true tube overdrive mode... the 350 has tube emulation overdrive).

I found the volume of the 650 and 350 identical into a typical 4ohm load. I also found that the HD350 was a VERY loud 350 watts.

Comparing to the Ampeq, the EBS line has a much more pronounced treble presence and will sound more 'hi fi' in general, although the overdrive mode will get you some of that Ampeg grind it you want it.

So, I would consider the 350 over the 650 if you decide to go the EBS route.

7. how about getting the 350 and a seperate power amp?

do EBS make a stand alone preamp ?

8. yeah, they do make a stand alone preamp, but is the ebs sound only in the preamp, or is it also from their power amp section?

9. The EBS website indicates the 350 can run at 2ohms, but they don't recommend it in the literature that comes with the amp. Also, the power output of the 350 is strange at 2ohms... it is still 350 watts RMS (just like into 4ohms), but the peak output is substantially higher... so I guess it has a little more headroom.

Anyway, IMO, don't run the 350 at 2 ohms.

10. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I run the EBS HD350 sometimes at 2 Ohms and it runs absolutely perfect. I have called the costumer service of EBS and they told me it is absolutely save to run it down to 2 Ohms. The continious power stays the same and the peak power increases about 20% at 2 Ohm. My recommendation is: If you want to run mainly a 4 Ohm load (2 8Ohm Speaker or one 4 Ohm) go with the HD350. If you want to drive always a 2 Ohm load go with the 650!

11. great, I will be running a 4 ohm load most of the time - 2 x 8 ohm 210s
    is it true what Kjung said: that the 350 and 650 are about the same volume with a 4 ohm load?

I'm thinking I should give the 350 a try - I origionally didn't think it would be loud enough, but it just might be...

12. I wouldnt think it'll make much of a difference (unlike with different tube power sections)

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've often played loud outdoor shows with 300 watts and had no problem and enough reserve headroom. The key is to have efficient speakers and enough of them. With Eden you should be fine.

You might also consider giving the 800 Yorkville head a try. It might really surprise you and you'd save a lot of money.

14. just out of curiosity, 300 watts SS or 300 watts all tube?

( you may notice tube heads are usually no more than 300 watt )

But yeah, the more efficient the speaker the better, obviously :)

15. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    300 watt solid state. Mesa Walkabout head to be exact. Also a few times with a GK 800 RB. In fact, even the 400 RB did pretty good driving 2 efficient 1-15 cabs.

The EBS heads i've heard live have sounded very good too and either one should have lots of guts with good speakers.

16. I have the EBS TD600 (The Fafner head), and it's loud enough for sure, remember, it goes to ELEVEN :bassist:

17. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I have a HD350, it also goes to eleven! Thats why they are so loud!