Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS TD650 vs Ashdown ABM 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tumbao, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Ashdown ABM 500

20 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. EBS TD650

39 vote(s)
    66.1%
  1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Two different animals... I like both...

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't played either, but I have played Ashdown heads and I own an EBS head. I like everything I've heard by EBS over Ashdown...no comparison!

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    :rolleyes:

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe I should've been more clear...I have played an amp in the ABM series, just don't remember what model number. Anyway, I didn't really care for the glassiness in the tone of Ashdown. I didn't think it made my bass sound like my bass.

I've played the EBS Fafner (which I own) and the HD350, which has the same preamp as the TD620, and they sound pretty similar: just like my bass. EBS is much more hi-fi, which is what I prefer.

So...is that better for ya'?:rolleyes:

5. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I haven't heard the EBS but I own an Ashdown ABM 500 and I love it. I think it is better suited for a finger-style player that likes a smooth warm tone.
    It is very loud.

6. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    I've just bought a EBS TD650 and after a week of trying my basses out I am very impressed. I had felt that the ebs350 head didn't have the deep rich tone I like although it is a great slap amp.

The TD650 has both and is very loud. I have an Eden 500 and I have to say the EBS sounds sharper, clearer but still has the ability to get a deep rumbling tone if required. This is helped I'm sure by playing it through an excellent Eden 410XST cab. I will try it through my Ashdown 410H soon to compare, but I bought the Eden cab because the Ashdown sounded a bit tinny with the Highwayman head.

I have had a quick go on a Ashdown 500 but for some reason it was very quiet, even changing cabs, so that put me off a bit? Probably finger trouble but although I was really keen before trying it, I ended up getting the Eden.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    :D I agree. I think that you can get a tone out of the Ashdown that some might describe as glassy but that certainly is not it's default tone by any means! The TD 650 sounds a lot cleaner & hi-fi to my ears. Both amps are pretty different and what your needs are will probably be the determining factor. The EBS is nice but the Ashdown would be my preference out of those two options.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I just thought of this. Wouldn't glassy be closer to hi-fi as far as tone goes? :meh:

9. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    This is an issue dear to my heart, hence me resurrecting the thread. I've always shied away from tube amps because I find them too "glassy" when you crank the treble.

I find ss amps to be zingy, not glassy, although these definitions are very personal and may mean different things to different people. One of the problems I have with my ABM500 is it's pretty glassy. I use Rickenbackers in my current band and although I get a decent enough tone I can never seem to get the zing and clarity that I like without that glassiness creeping in (I use a pick which is a factor). FWIW the best Ric tone I've ever had was through my various old Trace rigs (the last one being so good a friend bought the whole rig and has been blowing various people away with it ever since). Before he bought my rig we both went and tried out a load of different gear (including Ashdown, Mesa Walkabout)and he couldn't get close to the huge aggressiveness of the Trace sound. I had to get rid of it because of back problems; if not I'd still have it, no question. I'm currently using an ABM500 through 2 Aguilar GS112s, but it's not as good a rig as the AH300SMX through the 1153; bizarrely it's not even as loud! To qualify that the same guy recently bought a 400W Markbass head and also has the 2 Aguilars; he agrees that the Trace is definitely louder than that. I often struggle, despite using Rickenbacker basses, a pick and full treble, to get a sound I can hear, and we're not a loud band at all. I tried a P Bass recently and that was worse by far; even with all the treble up it just disappeared.

I recently tried my new Seibass through an EBS (I think 650 with 1x15 cab) and it sounded incredible, arguably the best sound I've ever had. It doesn't sound half as good through my Ashdown/Aguilar combo, although I have to say I tried my Ric 4001CS through the same EBS and wasn't that impressed. So I'm looking for the best of both worlds....

10. The EBS is a cleaner less colored tone than the ashdown IMO

The ashdown can get a fuller ampeg like sound or a glassy treble sound if you want, the EBS however will tell the truth about the quality of your bass... if you have a crappy sounding bass, then it will be harder to get a good sound out of the EBS and you will be EQing all over the place trying to get that tone. If you have a nice sounding bass, then the EBS can be a godsend... just tweak the EQ ever so slightly and you are there... fast and punchy (especially with the EBS cabs too)

all just IMO of course...

I play in a heavy rock band and the the price of the EBS here is rediculous, so I went with the FENDER 300 Pro at the time, although I would still really like a TD650

11. EBS all the way. Having played both ABM500 and TD650 and other models in each others range too, the EBS wins on every level everytime...