1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS True Bypass Vrs Buffered

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist30, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Just got a DPhaser and really love the pedal. Best phaser I have. I have a series of other EBS pedals which all are buffered( Octave, Chorus, Reverb, IQ). They make all there pedals True Bypass. I am wondering if there true bypass pedals sound better. I am just curious because there DPhaser sounds so good. I have not tried to compare there other pedals I have which are buffered to compare. Has anyone compared? I am very interested if there is. They advertise that the Octave can go lower but I am having very good results with what I have. Wondering if the buffered may be better.

2. I have the EBS DPhaser, Chorus, Reverb and agree they are good pedals. I had the EBS Octave and IQ and felt I could do better than EBS in those categories.

Returning to your question - I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking whether the EBS pedal sound better than other brands' when the pedals are *not* engaged because they are true bypass? If so - I have not compared, but I am satisfied with how my signal sounds when the EBS pedals are not engaged.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Basically trying to find out if you hear a difference between EBS buffered and True Bypass. For instance you like the true bypass ebs Chorus pedal better than the buffered one?

5. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Found this on YouTube and it gave me some idea into buffered vrs true by pass. Essentially I get the idea that buffered has an advantage but why would someone change to true bypass like ebs. Has anyone heard a difference using the same pedal with the different version?

6. miner

miner

Oct 26, 2008
    Chicago
    True bypass vs buffered bypass. While the effect on on it makes absolutely no difference. The true bypass or buffered bypass circuit is only in effect when the pedal is switched "off". True bypass means the signal goes straight from the input to the output when the pedal is off, without going through any other circuitry. Buffered bypass means that there is a buffer which changes your signal to low impedance to prevent the loss of high end rom the capacitance of the cable going from the pedal to other pedals/your amp.