EBS Unichorus and Octabass: WOW!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phantasm, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I picked up an EBS Unichorus this week and ordered an EBS Octabass from someone who was selling it used online. I just spent a few hours fooling with both of them.

WOW! These effects are awesome!

The chorus is very subtle and adds to the sound of your instrument without taking it over and overpowering it. I didn't even switch to flange or pitch shift because I was so stuck on the chorus. And best of all, it doesn't kill the bottom end!

As impressive as the chorus is, the Octabass is UNREAL compared to every other octaver I've tried. This is hands down the fastest and most accurate tracking I've heard on an octaver EVER. Like any other octaver, it gets dicey on the lower notes of the E string but I can get down to a G and have it still be fairly stable. Plus, notes that low produce an octave that's hard to reproduce!

When both effects were used together they complimented each other perfectly. Again, each colors the sound in its own way and still the heart of your bass sound itself isn't lost.

Both pedals have true bypass and when they're not on there's no change in sound. I don't hear it sucking the signal out of my bass like the Boss TU-2 I've got does.

While I was in the shop buying the unichorus, I also got to check out a Multicomp. The tube setting was awesome. The Multiband I didn't really care for as much, it sounded more like an "effect" where the tube sim and normal settings sounded more transparent. I've got a Demeter Compulator on order but if I didn't, I'd probably have a EBS Multicomp as well!

These boxes are pricey, but I highly recommend them if you can check 'em out!
  2. Cool you like'm. Those are two excellent pedals.
  3. jujube_2a

Jan 18, 2006
    Corsica, France
    Did you compare the octabass with other devices (MXR bass octave, Digitech bass synth wah, Boss OC2/OC3...)?
  4. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've played through a Boss, don't remember which one and I found it to be sloppy with the tracking. This was probably 5-7 years ago so bear with me.

I've also got the Pod XT and the tracking on that octaver was better than I remember the boss being, but still sloppy.

I was always looking for a pedal that could keep up with what I was playing and track correctly, and the EBS does that. Plus, for the price I paid used, I'm a very happy customer!
  5. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    congrats! i had an old grey one & sold it -- may yet get the newer black one cause I miss it.

however, it's not true bypass.

look @ specs; where you see "dry bandwidth" and "octave bandwidth" tells you it's not true bypass (even though the freq. response is excellent).

true bypass uses a 3-pole type of switch that completely bypasses all circuitry when the pedal's not engaged.

nice pedal, though!
  6. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    My UniChorus is on the way, cant wait.
  7. I've got an Octabass, love it. couples really well with the Multi-comp.

for a Chorus, im using one of those old Boss Brown CEB-2 (I think )... IM happy enough with that.
  8. Funkypants

Apr 17, 2006
    We want clips! We want clips! :D :D