1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS UNICHORUS - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lijazz, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I have been wanting both a chorus and flanger and originally planned on getting a Boss CE-5 and BF-3. However, I really will not be using these pedals all that much and decided I would rather keep things more simple by getting a pedal that can do both. From the demo clips I have seen/heard, I think the EBS Unichorus is what I am looking for. The chorus sounds very natural to my ears and even though the flanging capabilities are on the lighter side, that is all I am really looking for, don't need the jet-plane type sound. That being said, my only concerns have to do with some of the negative reviews/comments some have made regarding distortion/noise experienced in the lower registers when played at higher volumes. My bass is a 2008 MIA Jazz Standard into an Ampeg BA115.

All opinions/comments welcome in helping me decide.

Thanks.

2. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I have the EBS Unichorus and I really like it.

But - it cannot do jet flager, but the flanger sounds interesting.

http://www.coverstorytheband.com/

under "Hear us" I am using the flanger setting for "Mercy" (with OC2/ tapped Lakland through EA iAMP800)

I am using the chorus in Boogie oogie (intro)

3. your Jazz Bass will do just fine with the Pedal. You might run into problems if you dig in very hard. It distorts if the input gets too hot. Active Basses with a hot output like Musicmans or Wals cause distortion and thats sounds just really bad. I had no problems with my Jazz Bass.

Chorus sound is as good as it gets, very natural sounding and mellow. Flanging mode isn't really a flanger, but nice sounding anyways. I really liked that pedal.

4. From the clips I have heard, the flanging effect seems enough for me. However, since it is a $200 pedal (new), should I just spend a slight bit more and have two dedicated pedals (previously mentioned)? Maybe the extra $$ is worth it to have more flexibility.

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I'm sure you could find both for less than 100.00 inclusive in the for sale forum

6. I love my Unichorus, it sounds absolutely great and it's easy to dial in your sound. I agree about the flanger mode being a bit too vanilla though.. My Cirrus does make it distort if I run it hot, but nothing that's not manageable.

The TC Chorona is a pretty good alternative option, definitely more budget-friendly. That and a BF-3 would fill your needs if the EBS isn't what you want.