Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS v2 pre-amp, anyone use one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, I tried search already and didn't see anything, does anybody have this pre-amp? Any info / opinions appreciated. I want to use it with a power amp, and it seems to have the output capabilities I need. I saw the other thread down the page, but it looks like they were talking about the v1 or classic pre.

2. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    The EBS-1 v2 is my favorite preamp. The sound really cuts through a mix, but it's not for those who like "warm" sounding tube amps. It sounds like the hi fi solid state amp from hell. My favorite sound on this preamp is with the EQ bypassed. It will really let you hear what your bass sounds like. For optimum performance set the input gain as high as possible without distortion. This is important.

Pro: It has really exceptional bandwidth, frequancy response, headroom and dynamic range. The signal to noise ratio is good enough for pro studio use. The XLR output can be run at -10 or +4 dB. It's very small and light. Build quality is excellent. Totally reliable and road worthy.

Con: The EQ takes some getting used to, because it's a semi-parametric EQ that can boost but not cut. (I suggest starting flat and using EQ very sparingly if at all.) It doesn't have a tuner output or a "mute to tune" switch. I get around this by putting dummy plugs in the effects loop (which I don't use) and using the effects loop foot switch as a mute. They can be expensive and hard to find if you buy new.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks Ed! It sounds like one I need to try!