EBS Valve Drive tube swap

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by malcolm.mcintyr, Apr 26, 2021.

1. malcolm.mcintyr

malcolm.mcintyr

Jul 19, 2010
    I have been using an EBS Valve Drive for at least 10 years. Found it quite useful but always felt the overdrive distortion came in too fiercely when the gain was turned up. So the effect was either completely dry or too overdriven (for my taste). I want valve warmth rather than overdrive.
    Eventually, I got round to trying some replacement ECC83 (12AX7) valves, but generally these were even more aggressive than the stock valve.
    Finally, I tried an ECC82 valve. These are not regarded as drop in substitutes for ECC83, but will not cause any harm. The ECC82 is much lower gain.
    The ECC82 is exactly what I am looking for! Very warm sound well before breaking into overdrive. The pedal runs very quietly with regard to background noise, and it is much easier to match level between pedal on and pedal off.
    Very pleased, and can’t wait to get back to some UK gigs to try it in anger.

boing and Roxbororob like this.
  2. boing

boing Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2004
    CT, USA
    I’m seeing the ECC82 has an amplification factor of 17, as compared to the stock 12ax7 tube with a factor of 100. That’s a pretty big difference. I had good results with a 5751 in my valve drive (factor of 70) and the I liked the subtlety. The ECC82 might be too subtle, but maybe I’ll give it a try.

3. Maki_Randy

Maki_Randy

Sep 19, 2019
    I just got mine and also found the 12ax7 to harsh for smooth tube grith. I could hardly turn the gain up before I found the brake up to much. I bought myself some more tubes. A 12ay7 (Groove Tubes) and a 12au7 (TAD JJ). The 12au7 is to little. I could turn up the gain completely and still have a rather clean tone, only when really digging in or almost popping strings it would really brake up, when playing D or G string it would happen more easily. But with the 12ay7 it's a completely different story. The perfect gain tube. I can now play with the gain from almost zero for very clean to halfway to give me clean with a bit of break up when moderately digging in. And going from half way to maximum with really nice heavier brake up. I love the pedal!!!!

4. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    +1 on 12AY7. Perfect to replace 12AX7 when going from "guitar" to "bass".
    12AU7 can work but usually too clean and usually the 12AXY circuit values are far from optimal as it is a very different tube..

5. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    I’d also recommend a 5751. I’ve had good results lowering gain in amps with them.

jw23mind likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021